The TrekEarth Forums - View Single Post - I quit...
Thread: I quit...
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 AM
TE Expert

In a 1963 paper for the New York Academy of Sciences, Edward Lorenz noted: "One meteorologist remarked that if the theory were correct, one flap of a seagull's wings could change the course of weather forever." Later , Merilees concocted the title Does the flap of a butterfly’s wings in Brazil set off a tornado in Texas?
It was the beginning of the chaos theory. In a popular literature it is called a butterfly effect.
The phrase refers to the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that may ultimately alter the path of a tornado or delay, accelerate or even prevent the occurrence of a tornado in a certain location. The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale alterations of events. While the butterfly does not "cause" the tornado in the sense of providing the energy for the tornado, it does "cause" it in the sense that the flap of its wings is an essential part of the initial conditions resulting in a tornado, and without that flap that particular tornado would not have existed (after Wikipedia).

We observe this everywhere all the time. It is not possible to predict weather accurately for a longer time (about one week). Many such examples: one person goes to the airport but it is a traffic jam. Misses the flight, other person must go somewhere so is happy that there is one place free. But then the plane crashes.... Or something romantic: Usually you go with some train but once you miss it and catch another
one. And you meet there love of your life. ..... or: one worker goes over a fence and then all the communist system crashes...

What has it to do with TE? In my opinion it is something similar. There are the feelings here and it is very sensitive system. Tiny insignificant itself action like deleting one picture starts a chain of events you cannot stop and predict. If with the standard automatic note was something personal, human, would it help? Some nice words, not only usual stuff about TOS? Something like "we need your presence here" instead of "there are other sites you can go"? And some patience and understanding on the other side? Maybe...

I am very shy person who never raises the hand when there are more than three people and I started this discussion. Incredible. I deeply regret it.

There is one thing I would like to know. I am TE expert. It doesn't mean I make good photos, no, it means I spent a lot of (probably thousands) of hours at the computer, choosing (from thousands) the most interesting (ihmo) photo and note in a best intention to show something new, inspire for travels, and so on. But nobody is perfect. If I wrote (in a moment of weakness, because of the reason important for me but not important for others) these words that are at the very beginning of this thread: I quit.... would be anyone, who would try to stop me?

Last edited by emka; 01-04-2011 at 11:41 AM.