To CLODO: symmetrical picture - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great CLODO 2011-11-09 5:58

Hi Stefano

You're revisiting Italia to show us the best of the best concerning the autumn hues! Perfect POV to incorporate the yellow tree, and to frame a symetrical picture (not recommended in photography, but it works!)
Cheers
CLODO

Old 11-09-2011, 02:49 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To CLODO: symmetrical picture

Hello Clodo,

first of all thank you for your nice comment(s).
About the symmetrical image, I take the chance to discuss it with you.
I know the rule of the 2/3, and generally I think it is a good rule, and I try to follow it when I think it should be done.
But sometimes I think that the 2/3 rule provides very "scholastic" images.
I don't; know if I manage to explain what I mean, but it looks like one did his homework, and made the image following all the rules.
I think an image should provide some strong sensations when it is seen for the first time, and if the first sensation that comes out is that it is an image where all the rules are followed, well... I think it s not a good result.
In some cases I thing the subject well in the center is a good choice.
I am not saying this is the case, but I think the 2/3 rule sometimes MUST be broken.

cheers
Stefano
Old 11-10-2011, 10:09 AM
TE Expert

Location: I live in Pessac, city surburb of Bordeaux - France
Smile photographic rules

100% in accordance with your comments.
First of all, you have to learn the rules (for example, beginners take often symetrical pictures which look boring) and then, when you know the photographic langage, you can break them from time to time when you feel that the image is still eye catching.
Other photographic rules as straight horizon (contrary big tilt), strong point ....are not be be observed at 100%, elsewhere all the pictures will have the same look, and uniformity will be boring.