Why is TE loosing members ? - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 07:05 PM
TE Senior Member

This is the same for pictures than for people.
Sometimes, I like pictures of a member very much, and I write him 3,4,5 times,and never he answers.So , what I do? I like his pictures, OK, I will always look at these pictures, but will not loose my time to write.
Could you imagine to say to somebody I love you I love you, I love you,and this one dont look at you,even 1 time?
Sometimes, I look at pictures, but dont find what to say, because I dont feel anything about it. Do I have to write something only because he is a new member?
New or not new, if you dont feel anything, what could you I write?
I remember 5 years ago, I was also new, and each time someone was writting to me, I was giving an answer because I was trying to become more popular,and why not, to belong to 1 group Now, I am a 5 years old member, and I have not the same enthusiasm.Sometimes, I write to a new member,and he answers rarely.What happens? Because he is new, I forget him,except if I see one more time 1 of his picture in the gallery.And I dont spend all day long to look at the gallery.
But I never forget the old members that I know.Its not because I want to get more points, but because its a meaning to say him hello.
Everybody belong to a group.In my group, some members have left, others members have come, some new, some ancient,but always some membrs that participate.
I have only 1 advise to say to new members : participate ! As everybody has participated when he was new.
No need of new rules.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patdeph View Post
This is the same for pictures than for people.
Sometimes, I like pictures of a member very much, and I write him 3,4,5 times,and never he answers.So , what I do? I like his pictures, OK, I will always look at these pictures, but will not loose my time to write.
Pascale, many of us have known those feelings on TE. I think you are talking about what Keith and I call 'courtesy'. It is simple courtesy to show an interest in the members who have devoted some of their time to look at your photos and write critiques. It can be very discouraging when you never get the interest returned. Courtesy is something which can be shown to strangers as well as friends, in fact it's more important to show it to strangers.

Sometimes, of course, one can forget to return the interest another person has shown, or simply not have enough time. But if you write numerous critiques and receive no return interest from the other person, I think we can call that a lack of common courtesy. I don't think our site would have any appeal if all members only wrote critiques of the photos they were interested in, and ignored the human interest and needs of other members.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:02 PM
TE Junior Member

There is no doubt that politeness is an important ingredient in a site like this.
But the pathological status occurs when the quality of the images is just forgotten and politeness is the only thing driving the comments to the images.
The pathological status occurs when, in the name of politeness, bad quality photos receive 80 points or so.
Me, on this siite, I check some of the authors I like, and if they have recent photos that I like, I send them points, but then, if in the most recent pages I find pictures I do like, and that belong to authors I don't know, I send them points without checking if the ever send points or not. I do not care. I like their photo, I send them points. Period. There are at least two or three authors to which I very often send points, that have never replied. I don't care, and I just want them to know that, in my opinion, they are good photographers. Sometimes they post photos that are well above the average, outstanding images. Why should I ignore them ! This is, for me, first of alll a photography site !
And then I like to send some feedback also to images that I do not like but that I think could be improved. And, recentlly, I have to admit, I also send my personal ideas also to images that receive lots of points and that in my opinion are not good.

Cheers

Stefano
Old 01-13-2012, 04:11 PM

Everybody has their own way of working on the site. If somebody critiques my work I will go and look at theirs but won't necessarily post a critique. I certainly don't feel any obligation to post a return critique and have never felt slighted or insulted if somebody that I have posted a critique on doesn't respond.
I critique purely on the basis of what images create a reaction in me. Whether that is a positive or negative reaction is irrelevant. My critique will be my honest appraisal of what I'm looking at. The only 'rule' I set myself is "If you can't find something positive to say, don't say anything"
Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 AM
TE Junior Member

After checking some of the replies here, what came to my mind was: why do we use TE? with which purpose?

I use it to post photos, but mainly to interact and learn something more about places I don't know but also about photography.
How can we learn something if we don't interact with the others?
Is it nice to come here and say something and don't get an answer? it's almost like speaking to a wall then.

Maybe this is the reason so many members then interacts mostly with the ones they know because they have some interaction assured (and I'm not speaking of smileys or points, because having lots of smileys on a photo but not having a constructive comment about it is almost the same as nothing, but then we have again the language barrier, and we might be unfair to someone that wants to say something but don't have the necessary language skills to do it).

From my side I always take a look ar the gallery and to my favourites photos and if I find something interesting I then write something up.
Honnestly speaking, I prefer having 1 comment on a photo of mine even if it's only pointing its flaws rather than having 10 comments saying, beautiful, amazing and so on.
I'm not saying that sometimes we get proud when we see that our photo has really some potential and it's recognized, but if we are honnest with ourselves, we know that we sometime post somethings that have flaws and we wait for the feedback and only see great, amazing, and fantastic.... well, maybe it's a problem of the screen and we are not seeing the same
IMO what is different on TE nowadays is precisely the lack of interaction even here in the forums... If this was launched on the first years of my participation maybe we would already have 10 or more pages of discussion, worse now is that we cannot acuse our moderators of not taking part on the discussions, as sometimes we did when Adam was rulling the site, as we have various answers from Keith and Andrew here, and they are gently taking part on the discussion, but where are the members? (I know I can start a "war" with this, but the same way I critique our MOD's when they do not show up, I must praise them now as they are here to take part of the discussion and leaving their ideas about it, but where are the members?....well we have some but maybe not the ones that most claim about the site being deserted...).

Returning to the discussion and to what Keith said, it's very true that many times I receive a critique from a member which I don't know and if not "imediately", later I will go to his/her gallery to check the work he/she has and many times I'm very surprised with the quality there and I leave a critique or two to some photos there, but this is as Keith said politeness and interest for not only critiquing who I know best. It's also a way of getting more interaction (not points or smileys).

If someone goes to my critiques they'll find their critiques to my favourites but also to some members I never spoke to, and this is because their photos took my attention, even if they weren't the most attractive on the thumbnail.
It's also true that there is a huge difference between my work in the beggining and now (I think) and this difference is also because of the critiques I got from some skilled members here which helped me to further improve the quality of the compositions, the post processing and so on, so why should we only critique great photos and not leave a comment on a photo that doesn't look so great? if we always do like this then maybe those not so skilled members will never have the opportunity to improve their quality and will simply leave.....

After this, I also think that there is a time for everything, and, there are indeed members that simply post and go away, I may leave a critique to him or her from time to time, but to be honnest, I also don't like that much to see a member which doesn't have 5 minutes to leave one single critique to anyone, and even if their work is the best on the site, maybe I won't feel so much the will to make a critique as this will also be the same like being speaking to a wall as I know there will not be any interaction as they simply post and go...

Well, this is a very hard task to make it work as we all want, but still and even if this is a round discussion, it has already a merit which is making us discuss and interact, and this is already fine as IMO what we all seek is more interaction between members and with those discussions at least we get some.

Finally I would like to see our MOD's, Keith, Andrew and Vivianne (the ones I know from here but surelly there are more) posting and critiquing also as I was looking their galleries and they have good galleries so why not continuing with it too?
Old 01-14-2012, 09:18 AM
TE Senior Member

Paulo,thank you to say so well exactly what I am feeling.I totally agree with you. .
In fact, this site is a site of interaction about pictures. This is also a way to take fun. How could we get fun is there is not interaction?
I am not here only to show my pictures, I like to discover the world, and this is why I first rejoin TE. In a second time, I got more and more relatives, by the interactions and also by meetings. If these interactions and meetings doesnt exist, the interest to be on TE is not so great.
To be on TE is a nice way to have a nice time when I am at home. How could it be a nice time if there is more and more rules, more and more obligations, more and more deleted pictures because of the notes? Dont forget that its not a job, but an entertainment. If people are leaving, its because of the rules, they cant get pleasure any more.
So please,members of TE, dont ask the moderators to have more rules.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:58 AM

Bonjour Pascale,

I think there is a misunderstanding when speaking about "more rules". I'm definitely sure that the rules are the same created by Adam in 2002 but in the last 9 years people asked us a more clear description of what was allowed or not.
That is what especially happened about the problems around "frames", "common objects w/o sufficient note" and "family/friends" on the posted photos.

Also, in the last 9 years, we got loads of complains about rules but almost more complains about not understanding the rules because of limited knowledge of the English language and also about why people were not respecting these rules, you should know how many members are clicking on the "Report Problem" button every day! And mostly it's because indeed of a serious violation.

We, admins & mods, are always between two fires but many people don't want to know about what we do & why... Still I'm sure TE would have become as any other characterless photo site if the rules weren't respected by all and ensured by us.

Amicalement - Viviane
Old 01-14-2012, 11:00 AM
TE Senior Member

Hello Viviane
I am perfectly understanding what you want to say, and I know the rules and accept them.
But I am speaking about new rules that are asking for, for exemple, to allow members to post a picture only if they have done 20 critiques, or to do at least 2 critiques to a new member,or to stay anonymous during 3 days.Look at the begining of this thread.
Personally,I am not offended when a picture that I dont find good get 100 points, everybody find his pleasure like he wants,and if people want to make critiques on a not so good picture,that it their problems.
I repeat, this is a pleasure , not a competition,nor not a job.To get 2 or 100 points doesnt change my life. What is changing my life is to get fun to be on this site. And I would not like to have some more obligations.
Have a nice day
Pascale
Old 01-14-2012, 11:28 AM

Ah! There was another misunderstanding... Mine this time as I was not aware that you were especially answering Stefano, I thought you asked the members not to ask more rules.

Thank you & have a nice day too - Viviane

PS: I agree with you, FUN, that's all it should be about!

Last edited by Porteplume; 01-14-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Post Scriptum added
Old 01-14-2012, 11:29 AM

Hi Pascale,

I suspect you would get agreement from everybody when you say you don't want to see more new rules. The modifications to the existing rules, which have been posted recently, have been intended to clarify items which were either vague, or have been overtaken by technological changes.
Other rule suggestions which have been made are simply that, suggestions for ways to encourage more interaction between members and note that most are being made by members, not put forward by the mods.
All sites evolve over time or fail to do so at their peril. There were changes duing the time Adam owned the site(s) - the split to create TrekLens & TrekNature being the biggest and most obvious. There may well be other changes in the future too.
I believe the most important thing is to ensure that the membership are kept informed and involved in any changes. As has been said many times, this site (any site) is nothing without the members.
That said, it is also true that you can't please all of the people all of the time. Just because a member doesn't like some part of the rules doesn't mean it won't be applied to them.
Finally, what has impressed and please me most about this thread is the obvious effort people have put into compiling and posting their thoughts. I think I can speak for all the mods when I say that is greatly appreciated.