Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-01-2005, 01:34 PM
TE Newbie

Default how do we help?????

Dear Elaine,
I've read about ur notes of the picture of "post-natal". Your notes is very detail and correct.

As i am working as tourist guide in Myamar, I know the lady you have showned in this picture. The life of such woman is very poor and hopeless. Here I would like to discuss the idea of "how" do we help to those people????

I always request to my clients not to give anything, even sweets and toys to the children who came to beg them. Because once they get something from the tourist, they always think they will get something and not going to school anymore. If tourist want to help, i think it should be in other ways like going to school or some organization and give donation there.

Once I saw a man without one leg, begging in a market place. it was an evening time and the place was dark. so the man put a bundle of candles on his thigh and going with his hip on the ground. The hot wax of the candles melt and split on his thigh. Every one see he is suffering from the heat of the candle and they feel so sorry for him and give him money. But how much money do they give him???? Is this money help him for rest of his life, so that, he does not need to beg anymore???? so that he is not suffering from the heat any more???? I strongly against to give him money. Because this kind of people, as lack of education, he may think he got the money because he show himself suffering from candle heat. So he will continue his begging in the next days and he will have endless suffering.

Again with this woman, she alread have thouhgts that she got money from tourist by showing her baby. She will never try to get a job. Well I believe she is still young and able to find a job at least. So her baby has to suffer in the heat, as a tool fo her mother for begging.

Your kind money will be helping her for a day. but also encouraging her to beg in the future.