Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great markoci 2005-12-20 16:32

good notes on this unusual and indeed uneconomical way of "fishing". i haven't seen a catch or a fish in their boats, or even a photo of one, have you? it just further proves my theory i explained to luko. it's al just a brilliant marketing trick to draw tourists and photogs to inle lake. think about it; legrowing, conical traps, balaning on the edge of a longboat... plleeease! it's a whole package! i mean come on, can't you see there's something fishy here? :-)

nice compo to capture him behind the net like this. is it just me or is this one much larger than usual? are there different size traps for the different depth of the lake?

Old 12-21-2005, 05:19 AM
TE Newbie

Default To markoci: any fish in the lake???

Hi Mark,
I've been working for 7 years and I was in Inle Lake 15 to 20 times a year. But I've never seen they have been catching fish with this net. But in the market, we still see some fish and I have no doubt that they are from the lake. May be they are caught with other methods of fishing.

Yes, the trap has different sizes. As the monsoon gives lots of rain for 5 months the water level can come up about 2 metres. As this picture was taken in November, just one month after the rainy season, the level is still high. Of course, they need a bigger (taller) trap for this time. :D

Have a nice day!