Are You sure that Turkey is located in the Middle East? - Page 6 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-17-2007, 11:16 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Are You sure that Turkey is located in the Middle East?

The matter is, Adam has answered that it was based on geography and I have to agree with him that Turkey is not geographically in Europe. In itself, no disqualifier to become part of the european sphere/union in the 3rd millenium, a totally different story.

For me, I'd say it is part of the mediterranean basin geography and history, which gathers up countries from 3 different continents.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:49 AM
TE Newbie

A small part of Turkey is in Europe, most of it is located in Asia, in that part of it commonly called the Middle East.

Membership of the EU has nothing to do with that geographical reality.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:05 AM
TE Newbie

Unfortunately, any geographical database that tries to impose a strict hierarchical organization will fail in such cases. Turkey straddling Europe and Asia, Russia doing the same in another way.

And I agree that the Middle East doesn't have any clear geographical boundaries (some include North African countries, others don't, some include Turkey, others don't, some include (parts of) Central Asia...). It's actually more a cultural concept than a political or geographical one - more a convenience to avoid "too-large" groups.

But such clusters will cause confusion as well - as do (at the other end of the scale) subdivisions into "North" and "South" like was done for a small country like Netherlands, especially when a province that's clearly in the North is seemingly arbitrarily assigned to "South". If you really want to subdivide a small country like ours, North, Central And South make more sense... But currently it makes North Holland hard to find and it already leads to people assigning photographs to incorrect locations. Better just leave it at the 12 provinces, and forget about any clustering.

Similarly, we have here a division of Yemen in "East" and "West" when all the world thinks in terms of "North" and "South" based on Yemen's political history. But again - why use such clustering at all? There aren't all that many governorates in Yemen, they can sit directly below the country.

Building a geographical database can be endlessly entertaining. ;) And no, I don't think "aliases" are the solution - only a structure where an entity can have "multiple parents" can do any justice to geographical reality.

Marjolein, who builds here own databases, including geographical ones.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:16 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Better check your geopolitical books...

But here we go wrong as well ... Apart from the (essentially meaningless) "North" and "South", the Netherlands has the even more puzzling "Other" which contains Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles.

Well, make a decision: The Netherlands is a country, and Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles are not part of that country. They are not represented in our parliament either.

But the Netherlands is part of a larger political entity called (in English) "the Kingdom of the Netherlands", of which Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles are the other parts.

If you want to use the larger political entity, use the correct name "the Kingdom of the Netherlands". If you want the geographical and political entity "The Netherlands" , then Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles should have equal rights as they are their own political entities in the same way the Netherlands are.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:24 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Of course!

If we have to subdivide Asia at all, then I'd like to see Central Asia as a grouping next to Middle East. But like "Middle East" it's more of a cultural subdivision, although in many ways a convenient one.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:28 AM
TE Newbie

> So rather than quarelling about where Turkey is located, why not book a ticket to Turkey and see it for yourself. Its quite an interesting country with rich cultures.

I couldn't agree more! And I'd love to go back.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:31 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Anything to make a buck...

> This is the American way, whether we all like it or not.

Oh, no - in China it's very much teh Chinese way. ;)
Old 08-18-2007, 03:23 PM
TE Junior Member

Actually everybody ıs here rıght. But IMO there is something I have to remind. Somebody put Turkiye in Middle East map, OK , he or she made it up and some people accepted in forum, OK. made it up ;because when I was a child Turkiye seemed to have place between Europe and Asia OK most part of in Asia. What I want to say is I am from Turkiye , but people who advocated Turkiye is in Middle East, apparently are from another country. Question who is suitable to be in authority in this discussion? An old people from Turkiye like me or people from abroad and know little about Turkiye.
So why somebody here insist on a subject just because on a guess like as stubborn as a mule ? I do not know.. So with this in mind, I can say is something like France is in Africa, or all America is in South America. But the fact that I know and I believe about my country. So I don t have to persuade somebody. and Of course Everybody are entitled to their opinion. regards
Old 08-18-2007, 09:45 PM
TE Expert

Well, Hakki, some may argue that they know more about Europe, if only geographically, than Turkey, which would be "abroad", for them.

What I find most annoying is that some are ready to imply there is some kind of religious or politicial prejudice about not seeing Turkey geographically european. I do resent that, Turkey is a great country, confluent of many civilizations, in the future most likely a part of the European community. So, either someone tell me where I am viscerally prejudiced in what I just wrote or can we get beyond what I feel is felt as a rejection, rather than just a different geographic allocation.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:32 AM
TE Newbie

Please do not forget that "middle East" is a very fluent concept with no political borders. What may seem "Midddle East" for someone who went to school in Turkey can be an entirely different area than (though with some overlap with) "Middle East" for someone who went to school in, say, Germany, or the US. This does not mean that people who "vote" (there's no vote here) that Turkey is in (largely) the Middle East are from a different country - just that they have come to see the concept as a somewhat different are than others.

For me, Turkey is definitely largely in the Middle East, but Egypt, let alone more Westerly parts of North Africa) is not.

Just accept that "Middle East" is not something with well-defined borders, not politically, not geographically, not even historically.

I definitely see Turkey as being largely in what I understand as "Middle East" - and that does imply at all that I "know little about Turkey" - on the contrary. All it means is that my concept of "Middle East" is a different one from yours.