Are You sure that Turkey is located in the Middle East? - Page 8 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-19-2007, 08:09 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Middle East?

I remember the focus of the thread was merely about the location of Turkey on TE.
What I want to say is the location of Turkey might change in the near or far future.
Don't call your lawyer, this will return to you as extra charge:)))

Erhan
Old 08-19-2007, 08:44 PM
TE Expert

Default Apologies

Looks like I blundered. there is indeed MIDDLE EAST in the possible choices. Time to get out of this thread, head low, humiliated and shamed.

Long Live Turkey, Long Live Europe, and Long Live Asia...
Old 08-20-2007, 09:44 AM
TE Newbie

> since there are only continents to choose from, there was no Middle east choice possible.

Not now at least - but my guess is that there was a "Middle East" section when this thread was started (in 2004).
Old 08-20-2007, 09:49 AM
TE Newbie

Unfortunately (or not) I note that Turkey is not among the countries listed for Asia even though both its largest land mass and its capital are obviously (geographically) located in Asia.

So where is it? In Europe? That's not the continent where I'd go looking for Turkey. But then I wouldn't go looking for North Holland in the entirely arbitrary
"South" section of the Netherlands either!

There clearly is still a lot to do to clean up the geographical database, and the "aliases" referred to (also in 2004) have apparently not appeared either (or we'd be able to find Turkey in Asia as well).
Old 08-20-2007, 09:53 AM
TE Newbie

> So where is it? In Europe?

Surprise! It's in the Middle East. ;)
Old 08-20-2007, 10:03 AM
TE Newbie

> There clearly is still a lot to do to clean up the geographical database, and the "aliases" referred to (also in 2004) have apparently not appeared either

And neither has the Caribean...

It looks like Adam has actually given up long ago on getting some sense into the geographical database here, and that's disappointing.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:09 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Are You sure that Turkey is located in the Middle East?

There are many Turks (like my grandparents) moved from the Balkans to Turkey in near history. Ottoman was primarily a Balkan and a West Anatolian country. The historical capital of Turkey, Istanbul is located on Europe (and still its there:))

If you move most of the French to North Africa by force, but Paris still remains there as a French city, will you consider France as an African country??
Old 08-22-2007, 06:21 AM
TE Expert

Once again, choice were made to place countries continents and sub continent based on geography facts and not political, historical or religions issues (although this last one was never used as argument in those discussion yet, but I fear it will soon).

Therefore and since most of turkey land mass is found in Asia and more specifically in a Middle East so choice were then made to place this country in Middle East. Again, this decision was done on geographical facts and got nothing to do with politics.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:02 AM
TE Newbie

How can you put a country geographically to a political region?

Middle East "is" a political and historical region label invented by the British for their exploitation businesses at those times. It "is not" a geographical region.

Even then it did not include Turkey, because they were to call Anatolian region as "Near East" not "Middle East".

Political labeling should be avoided in this site! Please remove Middle East region.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:27 PM
TE Junior Member

I am agree with you ascosa. I think this chat a little bit unnecessary and prolonged, but somebody really insist to make their idea is correct. I did not know the fact that British invented Middle East region. But I knew that Middle East is a fictitious name somebody made it up as I said before. And since I am a fifty years old man, I know the fact about Turkiye very well, Ottoman Empire was on three continent EUROPE ASIA and AFRICA. And there was no Ottoman Empire in middle east land , every history lovers know the fact that Ottoman empire was placed mostly on ASIA. You do not have to be Historian specialized.Middle East is placed south of Turkiye. Middle East maybe a region but not continent, but I do not think so any relation to Turkiye. Somebody must give up their funny ideas and making fool out of us for what I don't know???, from now on going on taking nice photos.
Regards..