About frames - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-30-2007, 07:18 PM
TE Newbie

Default About frames

I am afraid that by using the most fascinating and beautiful frame one can make an even bad picture look good. I think I have seen some medioker pictures getting a lot of points because of a good frame. But of course, the most inportant is to show the photos after all. /G顤an
Old 07-31-2007, 12:22 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: About frames

Lots of mediocre picture get lots of points , even without frames, Goran. Some downright bad pictures get lots of points too. Points and pictures are a contentious and mysterious process here on TE. Frames, I think, have little to do with it. Regards kevin
Old 07-31-2007, 12:27 AM
TE Expert

I know exactly what you mean Goran;

I see some really BAD shots (bad noise, composition, colors, levels, etc.) with frames that look 10 times better then the photo. Personally- if the frame looks better then the photo- why bother posting it? Hahaha

What many people don't take into account is that 'flashy' frames are not allowed here on TE, and many get removed because of it...

- Dan
Old 07-31-2007, 06:45 AM
TE Senior Member

Oh yes, that's perfectly right.

And finaly, I wonder if, from now on, I won't post only frames without bother putting a photograph inside. TE: Learning about the world thruough empty frames... It sounds good, isn't it?
Then one could think also to post empty frames typical for specific countries and a bit information in the note. A white and blue frame could do for Greece, A western style one for the US, a frame combining cheeses and pieces of the Eiffel Tower for France, etc...

No, let's keep serious, I think that you have indeed some technically "bad" (even if I don't like this word) shots arriving on TE with an impressive frame. But you know what, usually, the frames (specially the thick-glossy ones)contribute to make the pictures even worse! Sincerely, do you think that a ugly, noisy, over-exposed, completely under-balanced shot will look better with a "beautiful" frame? I just think maybe a little bit more people will notice that a bad picture - with a flashy frame - has been sent, that's all!
:o)

For the points, that's always the same old story starting again, but I don't see a clear relation with the frames...

Have a nice day!

Cheers!

LB.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:48 AM
TE Junior Member

Sort of agree with bazal on this one...
Old 07-31-2007, 08:35 AM
TE Junior Member

Like John I agree with Loic. Frames should be handled carefully otherwise they annoy me. And the inside is the important thing! Ulf
Old 07-31-2007, 09:34 AM
TE Expert

Frames for photo are exactly like suits for men or magnificent dress for a girl.
If you are a dumpy man, you can wear a tailor made suit, you can just improve your look.
If you are a pretty girl, you can go with or without a dress...
Cheers
JP
Old 07-31-2007, 04:57 PM
TE Junior Member

I feel I have to defend myself here, since most of my images use frames.

Yes, it is true that a good frame makes a bad picture look good. But, I have seen lots of bad frames destroying good images: like frame color competing for the attention, bad typography, over-side frame, drop shadows, etc.

I like using frames to focus the attention of the viewer, to isolate the image, and, very important to me, to copyright the image. I'm sure that you have read about people downloading images from here for their own benefit.

About the points: this is not a competition site, is a community site, points only means nothing. It is just an incentive to participate. So no only post your images and wait for somebody to give you points, go and comment and critique other people and give your points allowance away.

And don't forget to thank Adam for the hard work he puts on this site.

Enrique
Old 07-31-2007, 05:51 PM
TE Junior Member

C'est effectivement quelque chose de curieux. Il suffit de prendre une de nos photos que l'on consid鋨e comme m嶮iocre, on lui ajoute des bordures blanches, et hop ! le tour est jou, elle appara褾 tout de suite moins m嶮iocre. Pour un peu, on aurait m瘱e l'impression que sa m嶮iocrit est voulue, artistique. Tel est le pouvoir de la bordure blanche. D'o vient-il ? J'ai lu quelque part que l'oeil est naturellement attir par les zones lumineuses. Il y a aussi l'effet "livre d'art" o les images sont noy嶪s dans du blanc. Les bordures blanches agiraient donc comme une connotation artistique dans l'imaginaire collectif.
Bon, si 蓷 peut mettre en valeur, pourquoi pas ? Apr鋊, j'avoue 皻re assez m嶨iant lorsque je tombe sur une photo o les bordures occupent plus de 30%, voire 40% de l'espace de la photo.
Quant aux bordures noires... c'est sans doute aussi un peu la m瘱e chose, peut-皻re un degr moindre. J'ai opt pour elles car je trouve qu'elles font davantage gicler les couleurs. Apr鋊, il y a peut-皻re des inconv幯ients que je ne vois pas.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:18 PM
TE Expert

lES BORDURES BLANCHES CONC+VIEENT MIEUX A LA TEINTE OLIVE DU SITE. CA FAIT MOINS DUR c4EST TOUT
jp