TE sucks for panoramas - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-28-2007, 09:11 PM
TE Newbie

Default TE sucks for panoramas

TE size and dimension requirements are causing me a lot of time and trouble and I find that I need to work with a calculator in hand to be able to make the final resize.

What are you talking about? It isn't stated clearly that an image must be at least 250 pixels in BOTH directions. Many of my panoramas have a width to height ratio of 5:1 or greater. This means that an image 800 pixels wide will only measure 160 pixels high; my Brocante image is 8:1 or 800 x 100 (without borders) and cannot be posted without manipulating the way it is displayed.

This means I must add a large border on both sides in order to be able to upload the image or I must put the image into a two row format; as I did with the brocante image. Neither choice is really suitable. Most people do not like the wide borders and I don't like the two row format. But I get tired of explaining that this is a function of TE. It would be nice if TE would remove the 250 requirement if at least 1 dimension was greater. Then I could post an image 800 x 100.

Every panorama I have uploaded has required me to compromise on the presentation and I find this hard to accept. I really like TE and will certainly continue posting here but I wish I didn't need to compromeise my art for the sake of dimentional cohesion.

thanks
Charlie
Old 10-29-2007, 02:49 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: TE sucks for panoramas

I'm only speaking for myself, but I've never had any issues with the size requirement for panoramics- or experienced any loss of image quality.

- Dan
Old 10-29-2007, 07:59 AM
TE Senior Member

Charlie -

reading your posting, I am not sure whether you are aware of the large-size panorama feature of TE. If your main posting (the one that is 800 pixels wide) has a ratio of greater than 2,5:1 between longer and shorter side, you will be able to additionally post a large-size panorama from your <A HREF="http://www.trekearth.com/manage.php">manage</A> section. The size limit for the large-size panorama is 400 KB, and I think 4000 pixels for the longer side.

So you will still have to add some borders to your photo you mentioned as an example, but after you did that you will be able to additionally post a large-size panorama.

See <A HREF="http://www.trekearth.com/photos.php?filter=panoramas">here</A> for the gallery of panoramas. Around 3,500 entries at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Cheers -
Norbert
Old 10-29-2007, 08:20 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Dan,

I think you may be right for "most" panoramas. But it depends heavily on the radial distance being covered and the vertical angle of view. My panoramas generally have very little vertical exposure with 120 to 360 or radial exposure. Worse yet, I do "linear" panoramas that have a very limited height but can have an unlimited length such as my Le Landeron street scene.

Here are my examples:
La sagne: http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo763711.htm
Le Landeron: http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo750257.htm
Mezhilac: http://www.trekearth.com/viewphotos.php?l=5&p=754941

The La Sagne image is 800 x 159 so I had to add 90 pixels to the height to get to the 250 minimum. The Le Landeron picture is much longer but I cropped it to obtain the right dimensions rather than the right framing. The Mizhilac picture has the opposite problem, it has a great deal of height, was composed from 15 seperate images (2 x 7 matrix) and is a panorama but by the 2.5:1 definition it is not. Mostly what's causing me the problem is that the 250 pixel minimum is applied to both width and height.

I could list the others but that would get tedious for all. I posted this in the hope that someone from TE would see it and give some more thought to the how and why the dimensions are being applied.

Best regards.
Charlie
Old 10-29-2007, 08:33 AM
TE Newbie

Ok,

I see you guys have been around for a while. And the large format works fo me some times. But it is not optimal. I myself look at the small version and decide then and there if I like it. I may or may not look at the large image and certainly wont if I've already decided it is not to my taste.

And I do realize that there are a lot of panoramas; but, how many have been manipulated to fit the size requirement rather than as the artist intended them? I have 7 panoramas myself but everyone one of them is presented to meet the TE system, not the way I want to present them!

As I said earlier, if the field of a view is less than 120, everything works ok, but a lot of panoramas are much beyond that. Most of the panoramas I am working on take in 180 to 360 or are linear and these cannot be freely formated to fit on TE.

Charlie
Old 10-29-2007, 02:09 PM

An image 100 pixels high would be little better than viewing a thumbnail on my monitor as the image would be less than 1/10th of the height of the screen.