To joseelias: thanks - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good joseelias 2007-02-01 9:22

Ok, Im a bit divided on this one The moment is without doubt strong, the tight framing very well managed as it lets us see the essential of the action without disturbing elements, and even with a creative and unusual approach, still theres a motion blur in the mans head (the main element of the composition) that unfortunately damages a bit the image

So, if in artistic and documental terms this image is very good, in technical terms theres something that could be improved.

As youve already used ISO 800, I guess that the alternative would have been to shoot in raw and compensate the exposure to -1 for example, so you could get a faster shutter speed, and be able to retrieve most of the details in the shadows in the raw conversion process.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:30 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To joseelias: thanks

Thanks for the advice...and the critique. This was shot in RAW but I haven't been working with RAW very long so your exposure advice will be tried in the future.
It was a nightmare getting that shutter speed up. Handholding some of these was a real bitch...a lot of them were at ISO 1600 and dodgy...overall I am pleased though...tune in for more in the days to come
Cheers
Mark
Old 02-01-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Para joseelias: thanks

Yes, I understand what youre saying about the shutter speed

And this issue is even more important because you were using a very long lens which increases every shake and movement of the hands, and thus require faster shutter speeds to get focused images.

The exposure compensation to negative values is always very useful to increase the speed, even if you cannot exaggerate because theres a limit to recover details from the dark area (in the bright its worse though). Regarding the RAW work there are some fine programs, but from the ones Ive tested I prefer RawShooter Premium for the images which need more work in terms of light recovery (especially bright areas).

Theres a new program from Adobe, the Lightroom which integrates a lot of the technology of the RawShooter (adobe bought it) but its heavy and I dont like much the workflow. Besides it doesnt seems to create a file with the configurations for each image so that you can later correct or covert again the file.