I quit...

You're on Page 5 of 7
Go to
  • Many people leave this site and many join on daily basis.
    I know personally several who left because the quality of the uploads did not suit them. They did not make loud noise, they did not accuse moderators for doing a bad job. They just quietly left leaving other people in peace.
    There are really many reasons people leave. The real reasons remain quite often unknown. People may DECLARE that they leave because of the moderators but may be they just realized that this forum is not for them. May be the mission statement and the profile of this site is not what they can identify with. May be their photos did not get enough attention and interest from others and they feel not appreciated?

Why don't we let people make their choices?

<b>I believe TE will survive because it is an extraordinary place still gathering so many fantastic people.</b> Everybody who feels that moderators are arrogant or that the place has gone bad: you may leave at any time, you may start your own forum or join other, but please do not offend moderators and the people who chose to stay. May be it is you who do not understand what TE is about? Regardless how may years you are here and how many uploads you have shared.
    How is it that many people never had problems with moderators? May be they just understand this simple sentence: <b>learning about the world through photography</b>?
  • In a 1963 paper for the New York Academy of Sciences, Edward Lorenz noted: "One meteorologist remarked that if the theory were correct, one flap of a seagull's wings could change the course of weather forever." Later , Merilees concocted the title Does the flap of a butterfly’s wings in Brazil set off a tornado in Texas?
    It was the beginning of the chaos theory. In a popular literature it is called a butterfly effect.
    The phrase refers to the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that may ultimately alter the path of a tornado or delay, accelerate or even prevent the occurrence of a tornado in a certain location. The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale alterations of events. While the butterfly does not "cause" the tornado in the sense of providing the energy for the tornado, it does "cause" it in the sense that the flap of its wings is an essential part of the initial conditions resulting in a tornado, and without that flap that particular tornado would not have existed (after Wikipedia).

We observe this everywhere all the time. It is not possible to predict weather accurately for a longer time (about one week). Many such examples: one person goes to the airport but it is a traffic jam. Misses the flight, other person must go somewhere so is happy that there is one place free. But then the plane crashes.... Or something romantic: Usually you go with some train but once you miss it and catch another
    one. And you meet there love of your life. ..... or: one worker goes over a fence and then all the communist system crashes...

What has it to do with TE? In my opinion it is something similar. There are the feelings here and it is very sensitive system. Tiny insignificant itself action like deleting one picture starts a chain of events you cannot stop and predict. If with the standard automatic note was something personal, human, would it help? Some nice words, not only usual stuff about TOS? Something like "we need your presence here" instead of "there are other sites you can go"? And some patience and understanding on the other side? Maybe...

I am very shy person who never raises the hand when there are more than three people and I started this discussion. Incredible. I deeply regret it.

There is one thing I would like to know. I am TE expert. It doesn't mean I make good photos, no, it means I spent a lot of (probably thousands) of hours at the computer, choosing (from thousands) the most interesting (ihmo) photo and note in a best intention to show something new, inspire for travels, and so on. But nobody is perfect. If I wrote (in a moment of weakness, because of the reason important for me but not important for others) these words that are at the very beginning of this thread: I quit.... would be anyone, who would try to stop me?
  • Quote: I fully agree with this.

"The only reason to keep the picture is that the photographer is a senior member and that the intention was a sensitive issue. Is it enough?"

Yes, sometimes the heart has to win. Laws are not made to be broken, but a good judge interprets. That is called wisdom. The removal of Jan's picture was a bad mistake.

I'm very sad.

Benny

100 % agree, I am very sad too

This site is a place of learning about the world.... this thread is a place of learning about people... the terrific lack of sensitiveness and human understanding that cannot hide behind any TOS rules strikes me.

I am very sad noticing that we are comparing a symbolic picture sent as a tribute to commemorate a member who has passed away to close ups on cats, door knobs... etc.

... as for me this is even an extreme case that common sense and pure human willingness to understand each other has been lost.

I wish we all would open our eyes and open our hearts... What, if not this discussion, teaches us about the world?

Happy New Year to you all
  • Hi Malgorzata,
    I would definitely try to stop you

But I believe there are several possible scenarios. Examples:

A very good friend of mine, darek1978, who I meet in real life on daily basis and we go photographing together, and make trips, he left the forum. His reasons to leave are still not quite clear to me. I tried several times to convince him to return but he did not. Yet in spite of his decision, he is still my friend. We first met through TE but I respect he chose to leave although his work was fantastic and very valuable for TE.

BlueRaven left due to moderators. She hated them. I do not share her opinion yet I loved her work, and I am sad she left. From time to time (too seldom) we write to each other and I follow her work on other forum. As I follow Cretense or Hardyuno or AiresSantos photos on facebook.

When you, emka, decide to leave, I would try to convince you that you should stay, because your photos are valuable for TE and your notes make excellent contribution. Yet if you decide to leave anyway I will respect it, hoping to stay in touch with you in private because except for TE we have also developed a friendship.

In my opinion jasmis case is different.
    He was uploading pictures daily yet I don't recall noticing any of his pictures.
    I checked his gallery when the conflict started and in my opinion he would fit better to TL. I don't actually understand why he never switched.
    I believe he will be happier elsewhere.

I suggest everybody a simple exercise:
    What comes to your mind when you hear words "TREK EARTH"?
    What photos do expect to see when you read the mission statement "learning about the world through photography"?

TE does not want as may people as possible uploading anything.
    TE does not want the best photographers in the world uploading photos if the photos are not suitable for this site.
    TE wants to be TE.
  • Quote: I wish we all would open our eyes and open our hearts... What, if not this discussion, teaches us about the world?
    Happy New Year to you all
    I completely agree I would have no heart to write to somebody that I have removed his/her photo, regardless how bad it is, that is why this dirty job is done by moderators, and I am glad that they do that job with more open eyes then hearts. Sensitiveness cannot be an excuse for being unreasonable.

Alternatively we can rearrange the letters in the TrekEarth into <b>TrekHeart</b>.
  • Quote: I completely agree I would have no heart to write to somebody that I have removed his/her photo, regardless how bad it is, that is why this dirty job is done by moderators, and I am glad that they do that job with more open eyes then hearts. Sensitiveness cannot be an excuse for being unreasonable.

Alternatively we can rearrange the letters in the TrekEarth into <b>TrekHeart</b>.
    I believe you are proud of yourself now. Good for you.
  • Romana:
    You have publicly shown the evidence how heartless I am and how sensitive you are.
    I am sure it makes you feel better. I am glad I could help.

PS
    I enjoy your gallery, and hope you will not leave
  • Quote: Romana:
    You have publicly shown the evidence how heartless I am and how sensitive you are. I am sure you feel better than I do.
    Bravo!
    Mariusz:

The more photographers leave after reading your valuable tactless and disrespectful contributions, the more space is left for you.

Bravo!

I will leave you my space in this discussion too, not going to response to your rudeness any more.
  • Quote: Mariusz:
    The more photographers leave after reading your valuable tactless and disrespectful contributions, the more space is left for you.
    That would be actually funny if people were leaving in great numbers because of me.
    Moderators would have to ban me.
    And I would quit because they banned me...
    (just kidding: you can ban me if you want)
    And the thread would start over again, oh no!..

As I said before: I like your gallery and hope you will not leave

I also decided to stop commenting here.
    Everything was already said.
    Obviously people are either sensitive or sensible.
    I hope both groups will keep uploading photos, just stick to the rules please
  • learning
    Quote: In my opinion jasmis case is different.
    He was uploading pictures daily yet I don't recall noticing any of his pictures.
    I checked his gallery when the conflict started and in my opinion he would fit better to TL. I don't actually understand why he never switched.
    I believe he will be happier elsewhere.

I suggest everybody a simple exercise:
    What comes to your mind when you hear words "TREK EARTH"?
    What photos do expect to see when you read the mission statement "learning about the world through photography"?
    Actually, I think I learned A TREMENDOUS LOT about Poland from Jasmis' pictures, probably half of what I know about the country! Learning about Poland through Jasmis, haha!! And to spell it out: this kind of learning has got nothing whatsoever to do with famous landmarks, wikipedia factoids or beautiful postcards. This kind of learning goes deeper.

That, plus the fact that imho he is one of the best photographers on the site, made me react in the first place!!

Then again. Some people notice, some people don't. And that's OK by me.

I do have a problem with the way this discussion is developping and since I don't have any interest in that kind of learning, this will be my last entry here.

Benny

PS: Thank you, Romanaa.