TrekEarth has a New Owner - Page 9 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-25-2007, 07:02 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: the spitit of the dead photo society

Oh! Gosh Romain...

I just tried to propose something, as an answer for a recurrent problem that causes a lot of discussion among TE members. Youre right, maybe theres some other issue that might benefit or improve, according to different members priority.

Obviously, you dont seem to be preoccupied by photos copyright, and to tell you the truth, I dont neither. But Ive read some threads where people were shocked to see there own creation, winning some prizes on some competitions, or others deciding to leave TE, because theres no protection or initiative from the administrators. Just like you, I dont care if my photos are stolen, I dont think Im Michelangelo, but I had this idea about locking the photos and I just wanted to propose it, in order to provide a solution for people who are frustrated about seeing there photos on commercial websites.

Other than that, Im really grateful to Adam, to have created this fantastic site and this constantly growing community, where Im able to learn a lot from other members and to have many new friends. So I dont want to make a battle with you, about if it would be a good initiative or a lost of time, but according to the reaction of other members, it seems that it wasnt a bad idea.

So if you think it doesnt provide any protection or wont decrease the amount of copy, than lets forget about it, because I cant argue with you on a technical level, I simply know nothing about this. But I thought that if many professional websites are opting for this solution, it might not be such a lost of time.

And sorry about the names, I mixed yours with David.

So I guess my Rambo solution is still the best, so Im waiting for your funds, before beginning my crusade around the world... :-p) If Cobraphil wants to join me, Ill be glad to have someone who carry my backpack and my tripod... LOL!

Cheers!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:27 PM
TE Expert

Oh, Romain, one more thing...

Ive been visiting your personal website and it doesnt work properly... And when we try to see the different gallery, message pop-up saying that theres no space available and then you cant get back to previous page and so on...

So maybe you should applied your IT knowledge to your own website, before pretending to know how to run TE and make improvement on it... Ouch!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:59 PM
TE Expert

You mean this message? As a matter of fact it was placed by me as I had to remove pictures due to lack of space. True I need more space on that server, and I'm guilty of not having done nothing about that yet. But don't worry, my website works just fine. But what would you know about that?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:03 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Copying stuff once photos are downloaded...

a) "fishing" a photo out of the temporary Internet files is simple;
b) in addition there are routines that allow "snapshots" of ANY screen...

I first used the latter while documenting screen displays of systems I designed and wrote... Each screensnap can be saved in almost any format. Stick with JPeGs and you get the same quality as the copies fished out of the temp I. files...

To suggest that any of this is difficult, is misleading. It's a piece of cake.

If anyone would like to have that screen capture program, drop me a note via the Contact facility here at TE...

IF I don't get more that 1001 request I shall do my best to fulfill all. [ IF I get more that 1001 , you may have to first do a critique to get to the front of the line... LOL! ]

Shoot_Score
Old 07-26-2007, 04:19 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Copying stuff once photos are downloaded...

Hi Jay,

I dont think the discussion was about how to promote copying, but rather how to eridicate it...

If you give away the trick to 1001 persons, that means there will be more copyright infringement, 1001 new persons who dont actually know how to do it. Why dont you simply write it down right here, so everybody can learn the recipe and spread the word around, to make sure every photos on the web could be copied.

It doesnt matter for people like me who take pictures for the fun of it, but Im wondering how professionals who earn their living with photography might think about these "paste and copy" of their work... Being ourselves interested by photography, we should at least be able to understand the notion of copyright and intellectual property, for those who dont earn their living being IT, but being photographers full time.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:32 AM
TE Senior Member

Default conclusion so far

Andre,
So far I understood one thing;
- two people are concerned about photo's that are being stolen;
- two others not, because technicaly there's nothing we can do;
- nobody else reacts, including Adam;
Old 07-26-2007, 09:43 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: conclusion so far

David,

If ever TrekEarth needs some statistics, you should be in charge, because obviously, youre into numbers. I like that.

But theres one thing you should consider, is that theres way much more people that are preoccupied by photos that are stolen, and theres some entire threads, other than this one, who cover this concern. So were not the first to underscore this topic, actually, Im probably the last one to put my grain of salt...

The only difference, is that for the first time yesterday, someone was against any measure to implement, stating that we cant do nothing about it, while all the other discussions were about members who were frustrated to find their own photos on commercial websites. So David, youre not alone in this situation and I would rather say that everybody else share your opinion. Everybody else except two IT...
Old 07-26-2007, 09:50 AM
TE Expert

I'm saying it again, if someone is concern about having their pictures stolen then one should not post them on the Internet because they will eventually be stolen whatever is done.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:11 AM
TE Senior Member

I'm not sure if this discussion is getting us anywhere.

I would like Adam or other trekies to react:
- Do we have a problem; Yes or No.
- Are we doing something about it Yes or No.

Best would be if Adam would react.
My 2 cents
Old 07-26-2007, 01:55 PM
TE Newbie

It sounds simple and effective ... but it also sounds like that would require JavaScript.

That would mean it would be totally ineffective for all but the most naive visitors: just turn off JavaScript and you can copy all you like. It's like a right-click protection which is equally ineffective.

I have two suggestions instead:
1. protect against "hot-linking" (that's really easy to do: only show an image if the referrer is TrekEarth itself)
2. allow users an option to have a watermark automatically applied, at least on the full-size image; that's a bit harder to do, and would require some extra (processing) resources on upload, but at the same time it would discourage copying.