Best Way to prepare a photo for this site? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-01-2002, 04:18 AM
TE Newbie

Default Best Way to prepare a photo for this site?

I have a lot of slides and a slide scanner. I use Photoshop 7.0 to scan and enhance images. What would be the best way to scan slides for this site. I am not sure what resolution would create the best image for uploads. Are there any basic enhancments I should make? Thanks.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:12 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Best Way to prepare a photo for this site?

For web display, set the resolution to 72 dpi since the typical monitor resolution is 72 dpi. Before you save the image, run the 'Unsharp Mask' filter to sharpen the image. I use a threshold of '3', Radius of '1.4', and then choose the percentage amount that you want to sharpen. To save, choose 'Save for web' and use the Quality slider to determine the lowest quality where there are no jpeg artifacts, and save.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:02 AM
TE Senior Member

I suggest making a high resolution scan of your slide (1500 dpi or greater) for archival purposes. Then follow Adam's instructions for making a copy for the web. That way you don't have to go back and scan your slide when you need a higher resolution copy for something else such as printing.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:47 PM
TE Newbie

Hi,how many pixels/inch is 72 DPI?

Regards

Leo

Old 01-05-2003, 09:12 AM
TE Expert

"how many pixels/inch is 72 DPI?"

Hmm, I'm not sure (maybe the same thing?), but it should be 72 pixels/inch.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:53 PM
TE Newbie

Default DPI vs PPI Explained

When photos are printed on an inkjet printer, they are made up of many tiny dots, and resolution is termed DPI, or dots-per-inch. Photos displayed on a monitor are made up of many tiny pixels, and resolution is termed PPI, or pixels-per-inch. Since we are talking about sizing for the screen (pixels), not for printing (dots), we use PPI and the web standard PPI is 72.

You hear DPI and PPI used interchangably a lot, which is fine, because both refer to the granular component of an image, albiet for different output. But to answer your question, display for the web should be 72 PPI.

You should scan your negatives at your scanner's max resolution, save the original scan, then downsize the image to your desired pixel dimensions at 72 PPI.

FYI-- You want to save your original at a large resolution for printing. Unlike the web at 72ppi, printing is usually done at around 300dpi, which requires a much bigger file for the same output size. Even if you don't want to print now, it's good to have a large original file, just in case.