Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-02-2008, 08:33 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: TE photobook: the return

great idea! :-)
a print is much better than always having to log in on the net so look at amazing pics.
i悲 take a copy or more, if i惴 in it too.*g* good luck, thor.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:03 AM
TE Expert

sounds good as it already did in the past
Old 07-04-2008, 02:05 AM
TE Expert

maybe we can find cheaper and better options this time, who knows, I am ready to help if you want
Old 07-09-2008, 04:25 PM
TE Expert

I agree with the idea that design and layout - ordering of photographs is an important editorial job - juxtaposition of images and styles makes a book interesting and alive for the viewer - whether done thematically or by creating contrasts - it is an important process.

We run an annual international photographic competition - which many people here may have entered - it is judged 'blind' we don't know whose work has been submitted - as a first round to assess general quality and skill and an assessment of how the work will look in print - what appears back lit on a screen at a small level may not always be so good on a paper backed and larger format.....whilst obversely some images will come into their own.

This first round is as liberal as we can make it however - the images then pass electronically in constructed thematic galleries to a panel of judges (5) this year who mark all entries to a scoring system - the top ten are chosen in each category. The photographers who are thus selected are asked to supply high res images for printing to 12x18 inches so that we can check their exhibition quality and give the judges a hands on experience of the work and an opportunity to meet and discuss and debate the work at greater length.

The final prints for exhibition are thus chosen and the people lucky enough to win a cash prize are announced. Our motivation is to show work to a local audience from a world wide perspective which is of good print quality and at the same time provide some money and the process of a rigorous selection process to photographers. The money can be of very high value to support photographers in some countries whilst in others it may be a relative drop in the ocean but there is something there to encourage further development.

Perhaps down the line there may be a book from this process - perhaps not!

If I were constructing a book from the contributions of many people being clear about the editorial process and who has ultimate responsibility is paramount I think - it could be a personal preference book, it could be a popular vote book - it could be a selection panel book but the final editorial process needs to give way to the design sensibilities of making the book enjoyable, exciting and readable for the audience.

I'm sure it has all been said above - I'm just a late comer to the thread.

best wishes KEv
Old 07-09-2008, 04:54 PM
TE Expert

p.s. we have made many books over the years - some for sale and some for free distribution - I get very concerned about the process of distribution and ensuring my promised audience are actually going to receive what has been produced - getting this airtight is sometimes a dream but ensuring the sales and dispatch and any after sales problems are sorted and someone's responsibility is essential.

I am just wondering as a not for profit organisation whether we would take on something like this, for instance to support such a project.....not suggesting us per se- but whether there may be someone with a level of structure and organisation with whom a project like this might make sense to elicit support from - the trouble would be finding someone who could genuinely support it as part of their programme and be prepared to do it at low or even no cost - I find it difficult to think about without my work head on to be honest because of all the issues we have had as an organisation - although in theory TE is a captive audience.

I am prepared to think about this and have a discussion off-line with Daniel if people think it's a good idea....just thinking on my feet (in the moment).

best wishes Kev
Old 07-10-2008, 01:59 AM
TE Senior Member

hi Daniel,
I missed the beginning of the discussion, the idea certainly sounds fascinating. for now I just scanned the thread, but I agree with the general outlines.
need a lawyer? I will not charge you arm and leg, I promise :)

regards,
Kristine