Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-23-2003, 01:18 AM
TE Expert

Default New 'Cameras' tab in Search Tool

There is a new 'Cameras' tab appearing when using the search tool. So if you do a search for 'Nikon', and click on the 'Cameras' tab, all the Nikon cameras and the number of photos being displayed on TrekEarth will be listed.

In addition, the search tool has been completely rewritten and is much quicker loading now.

Note that common and generic words are filtered out so doing a search for 'camera' or 'image', for example, will not produce any results.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:59 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: New 'Cameras' tab in Search Tool

A couple requests/ideas for the search function.

1) make critiques searchable (I'd probably include them in the Photos rather than using a separate tab because the critiques are on the same page as the photo).

2) increase the length of the search input field, it's only 20 characters

3) allow phrase searching (words surrounded by quotes)

4) when two or more search terms are used, bring up the discussions in flat mode. It seems to be matching terms based on the entire thread but it only displays the first post that contains one of the terms.

Of course, eventually, it would be great to have an Advanced search with all the usual bells & whistles.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:06 AM
TE Expert

"It seems to be matching terms based on the entire thread but it only displays the first post that contains one of the terms."

Can you give an example? I now highlight the phrase when viewing the actual message clicked from the Discussion search page. It currently only works for a single word phrase search.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:52 PM
TE Senior Member

If I search for "waterways diver" it brings up one discussion:

Re: New Travelogue Area mdchachi 2003-07-23 16:52

However if I click on this results link, I see the post that contains "waterways" and "diver" is nowhere to be seen. The post that contains "diver" is in the same thread but it's a different post.

I think the results are correct (that you're searching through the entire thread, not individual posts) but I was just suggesting that you show the result in flat mode, that way both search terms appear on the results page.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:45 PM
TE Expert

"I think the results are correct (that you're searching through the entire thread, not individual posts) but I was just suggesting that you show the result in flat mode, that way both search terms appear on the results page."

Actually, I'm not searching the entire thread. The fact that 'diver' happens to appear in another message from the same thread is just a coincidence.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:46 PM
TE Expert

Note that 'waterways' is displayed in the message, which is why it comes up in the search.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:39 PM
TE Senior Member

Then why does the same result come up when the search terms are reversed? Based on what you're saying, the other post should come up in this case.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:33 AM
TE Expert

"Based on what you're saying, the other post should come up in this case."

Hmm, there's definitely a problem using search with multiple words. I'll take a look at this, thanks.