Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2018-07-16 7:53

Hello Kasia,

Another most interesting story about your travels. (Even though I was a teacher, I had to research the word 'peregrinations'; a word completely new to me, though I suppose I could guess its meaning from the context!)
I love how you answer questions that must come to mind for many people reading accounts of your travels. I suppose what would worry me, being alone, is what do you do if you are taken ill.
Your photographs and notes reveal the generosity of these people and their lack of pride. They are willing to share everything and have no problems inviting you in to their homes, despite the poverty of the surroundings.
I was surprised to learn that water was delivered in tankers. Are the roads secure enough for them to travel to the villages or do the local people have to travel to a central point?
I was interested to see this lady cooking inside, rather than in a yard. Are the animals scared of the naked flame or have they just become accustomed to it? I do feel so naive by asking such basic questions!
Anyway, thank you for these detailed photographs and notes which paint a comprehensive picture of the daily problems of the villagers in Nepal.

My warm regards,
Bev :-)

Old 07-16-2018, 07:01 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To Royaldevon: Questions

Thank you for your very kind comments Bev! I don't think your questions are basic, they actually made me think, so I scribbled the answers below:

What do you do if you are taken ill?

You cannot prepare for all eventualities but I protect myself the best I can - about 10 different vaccines (including rabies), carry my own medical kit with basic medications, syringes and chlorine tablets to purify water). In remote regions, like Himalaya, I carry, wherever possible, a PLB - personal locator beacon (countries that participate in Cospas-Sarsat and allow individual use of those devices; they are useless in places like Burma or North Korea, not allowed in e.g. Poland where you need a special licence to use them), I always make sure my travel insurance includes helicopter rescue and repatriation.

Are the roads secure enough for them to travel to the villages or do the local people have to travel to a central point?

Sudal and Kushadevi are close to roads used by buses so people walk to points along the road to fill in their containers that can be carried in huge baskets on their backs. Nala is on a steep hill, I imagine a 4x4 would be needed on the bumpy dirt track that leads to it, even though my friend's nephew regularly travels up and down in a motorbike. So I don't know what they do, I wish I had asked about so many things.

Are the animals scared of the naked flame or have they just become accustomed to it?

They didn't seem to care even though the fire was about 3 metres away.