Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2018-11-19 3:59

Hello John,
I wonder if this village is sometimes hit by avalanches in the winter. It looks vulnerable, so close to the steep mountain slopes. As long as there is not too much snow it is a very charming place, with the attractive church centrally placed. The colours and light are superb and so is the sharpness. I was somewhat bewildered by the diagonal stripes on the walls of the buildings, but it seems to be an optical effect. They look normal on the beta version, but when I enlarge that further the walls look like they're "dancing" or perform a light show. Maybe all this is only seen on my monitor.
Kind regards,
Gert

Old 11-19-2018, 12:25 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: ? Moire

Hello Gert,

Thank you yet again for your kind words!

I'm not at all sure if this little place is prone to avalanches or not - the young guide who so kindly showed us around this village - and who had actually been born in this place - made no reference to that. She spent her time telling us more about the fascinating little church and the fact that land was at such a premium that the government severely restricted the building of new homes here - so much so that our young lady guide was very frustrated that she would probably never be able to buy herself a house in her home village.

Yes, that is a curious effect which we see, particularly on the side wall of that house just to left of centre. I suspect it is an effect called "moire" about which you can read here. Whether that effect has been amplified by some overly zealous sharpening on my part, I'm not sure, but it does apparently seem to be an effect which is more noticeable with modern digital optical sensors than it ever was in the days of film and silver emulsions.

Kind Regards,

John.