To joseelias: Laos - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great joseelias 2005-06-15 9:12

This is a very sad reality, and a sign how humans are so stupid in order to destroy their own memory I also think that those responsible for dropping these bombs or placing land mines should be forced to remove them once the conflict was over. Its unbearable that people get injured so many years after.

In fact I never heard of this place and the use of using these jars as funerary graves. Very interesting indeed.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:37 PM
TE Expert

Default To joseelias: Laos

Not all Americans who participated in the bombing of Laos, are without a conscience. Some have gone back to help reconstruct the country. Have a look at this story, by 'Lee Thorn', who was one of the bombers.

http://www.asianweek.com/2000_04_20/news_veteranlaos.html

Regards
Old 06-15-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: To joseelias: Laos

Yes, I know these things happen. The problem isnt the individual soldiers, as most of them are sent to do those things without a choice. The problem are the governments who order those actions and once the war is over they dont assume responsibility for their actions.

In this case, during the war, they intended to kill enemy soldiers and avoided to kill civilians. If by their action now civilians are being killed by their armament they should be held responsible for this. Its a nonsense. During war armies avoid to kill civilians, but after it ends they dont care anymore if these people die as a consequence of their actions I dont know if Im making myself clear.

But this extends to their own soldiers. After the return no help is given to them in solving the traumas of war. My father was a Special-Commando in the Portuguese colonial war (much more deadly to Portugal than Vietnam to US) and when he returned he was a different man (for worse) due to the war. Like US, also here soldiers never received any help in solving the problems. In fact the link you provided shows much of this. That guy had to solve all by his own
Old 06-16-2005, 07:17 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To joseelias: Laos

Agreed, Jose. Your views make perfect sense, even if the English is not flawless.

A common theme by Governments in wars, is to 'dehumanize' the opposition, & wrongly make the accusation that they are somehow less than human. eg Hitler -vs- the Jews / Slavic Peoples, the Japanese called the Chinese, "small stones for kicking", Pol Pot viewed anyone with an education, a threat to his regime (ie, 'not one of us'), & so on.

No US government official has ever been charged with breach of the Geneva convention on bombing of civilian targets in Laos. But Richard Nixon did get disgraced after Watergate, so what goes around comes around. Kissinger is another politician who should have been brought to acoount.

The American people are not stupid. I read a recent news item, that 59% of ordinary Americans, oppose the war in Iraq, & want a complete withdrawal asap. Politicians who ignore the people, quickly find themselves voted out of office. That is one of the strengths of democracy.

Regards