Travel Advice for Turkey (Istanbul) - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-15-2005, 04:17 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Travel Advice for Turkey (Istanbul)

I plan on going to Turkey next March for the solar eclipse, and was just wondering how safe Istanbul was.

I realise there is a lot of pickpocketing that goes on and I consider myself to be smart enough to avoid that, but would it be safe for me to bring out my 350D for photography? Or do I risk getting gonged on the head for my camera?

Are there any other things I should be aware of?

The plan so far is to spend a couple of days in Istanbul, then get a train to Antalya where the 4 day festival is being held for the special eclipse.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:44 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Travel Advice for Turkey (Istanbul)

Sometimes I think paranoia can be a self-fulfilling prophecy... don't worry about it too much, just use common sense. When I was in Istanbul I shot all over the place and at late hours of the night and never had any problem... but, it is a big city and like all big cities, you have to take precautions.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:28 AM
TE Senior Member

And that response is good enough for me to bring out my camera. I guess the travel warning sites are a bit over the top for a reason.

Thanks mate :)
Old 11-16-2005, 03:14 AM
TE Senior Member

Well, when I arrived in Istanbul (I had arrived from Eastern Turkey) I was more concerned about the taxi driver... or a drugged drink... something like that. But I walked around the Sultanahmet area (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia) at night with my D70 and tripod... no problem what's so ever. I have heard more horror stories of having a drink drugged and waking up in the street with nothing but socks and underwear.

Have a great trip, looking forward to the photos.

Narayan
Old 11-17-2005, 12:11 AM
TE Junior Member

I personnaly spent few days in IStanbul last July. I went here and there with taxi at all time of the day and night. I was a bit nervous with the way they drive (or compete) but everything was fine. Drivers were extremely helpful and nice. I also made a lot of shots late in the evening and very early in the morning and had not problem at all but people wanting to chat with me for a while or few innocent merchants wanting to sell me a carpet :)

Istanbul is just great !!!

Enjoy your stay !

Steven
Old 11-17-2005, 01:20 AM
TE Senior Member

Thanks Steven. After putting this question up on a couple of forums I feel a lot more safer about my destination now. The common theme seems to be 'travel smart'.

I've allowed 6 days to get from Istanbul to Antalya by bus, so if I dont like the city I can always hop onto the next bus to the next town :)
Old 11-20-2005, 09:15 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi brenden
I guess there is no risk in turkey but you know every big cities has a many pickpockets..I guess no train connection from istanbul to antalya
You can find many buses..Varan and Boss are good quality componies to travel (ticket prices 35-40 Usd one way)also you can find direct flight to antalya (apr. 100USD one way)more information you can mail to me cengiz@topbas.net
Old 11-21-2005, 02:31 AM
TE Senior Member

Yeah we have ditched the train idea and are now going to take buses as we go :)

I sent you an email also.