To keribar: English ruins - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great keribar 2007-10-22 21:55

Hello Kath,
Because I was in the UK recently and rented a car around the north, I am especially interested in castle and fort pictures: I never understood why there are so many ruins in the UK, monasteries,churches and forts or castles, they don't want to repair them, as we see them in France, because of the religion wars perhaps.
So now that you are fit after the visit, let me tell you that you got an excellent panoramic view which includes the see too. I am impressed by the tiny people climbing towards the fort.
Friendly regards - Izzet

Old 10-23-2007, 11:19 AM
TE Expert

Default To keribar: English ruins

Thank you Izzet
The ruins we have in England can be largely attributed to two men. Henry VIII is responsible for the monasteries. When he left the Roman Catholic Church and established the Church of England with himself as the head, he ordered in 1538 that all the monasteries were abandoned. This is known as The Dissolution of the Monasteries His men plundered all the valuables to enrich Henry's coffers and the buidings' stones were often re-used for other buildings. Some of the monasteries no longer exist at all.
Oliver Cromwell was largely responsible for the condition of the castles. During the English Civil War in the 1640s when the monarchy was overthrown, most of the castles were owned by the King's supporters. As each castle fell to seige, Cromwell ordered that they be made "untenable" which usually meant removal of the roofs at the very least. Not many of the owners had enough money to repair the damages. Most castles and monasteries nowadays are owned by English Heritage or the National Trust. They are both charities that take care the ruins do not deterioate further, but they usually don't have the money for complete restoration.
Take care
Kath