To Dpbours: White - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Dpbours 2008-05-13 2:14

Hello stefano,

I had to get used to the dark shades in the foreground here. But once I got used to it, I do see the beauty of this vast place.
I'm assuming that the white is actually some kind of salt deposits in the sand and not ice? I mean, flamingos and ice do not really mix :-). Nice one.

Greetings, Dennis

Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To Dpbours: White

Hello Dennis,

yes the white is salt and other minerals. It is not ice. Althought the temperature at night goes well below zero, I think that water is too salty and filled with other minerals to get frozen.
Thank you for your comment.

Stefano
Old 05-14-2008, 10:30 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Dpbours: White

That's a good point about being too salty to get frozen. I'm always wondering how lakes at such heights manage to get salty. Might have something to do with the lack of other minerals.

Greetz!
Dennis
Old 05-14-2008, 10:54 AM
TE Junior Member

Hello Dennis,

some lakes become salty because of its high content of minerals, high evaporation, and small water change.
Salt is not necessarely the common salt. Usually it is not, as many other minerals can make water salty.
Not all high altitude lakes are salty. Lakes from glaciers are not, because, even if they get a huge contributions of minerals from the melting glacier, their water does not stay in the lake long enough to become salty.
In lakes as Dead Sea, or such lakes in Bolivia, which are shallow, riched of minerals, and with a lot of evaporation, the mineral concentration in the water can become very high.
Sea is salty as minerals had tens of millions of years to make a perfect solution in the sea water.

Ciao

Stefano
Old 05-14-2008, 10:59 AM
TE Expert

Ah okay! It's actually about the accumulation of minerals.
And about the small change of the water and it getting brackish.

And so I'm learning every single day ;-). Thanks!

Dennis