To emka: one step forward, two steps back - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emka 2009-01-08 13:13

Hi Kristaps, Pacaya again. Stunning sharpness. I remember wall going up - one step up and then two down. But then it was so easy to go down = just riding like on the snow, the lava stones are so light. Is it smoke (not yellow?) or the clouds? have you photos with view on the other volcanos? I remember so well this trip. We came back to Antigua late in the evening and then the next early morning there was a problem with a taxi and we missed our flight Guatemala City-Mexico City-Amsterdam-Warsaw!

Warm regards

Malgorzata

Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 PM
TE Expert

Default To emka: one step forward, two steps back

you're absolutely right, Malgorzata: I remember the last part of the ascent exactly like that: one step forward, two back... it was like running up a fast elevator that's going down... you're right also about the coming down part. it was way easier, but i could easily see some folks spraying their ankles there. we were actually descending at night time; only a few folks had remembered to bring their flashlights and even with a flashlight "skiing (on my boots) down" was quite an adventure.

i had no problems making it to my flight the next day though. despite some truck driving having crashed and brought down the local powerlines (they were lying naked on the road, sending sparks everywhere). hope he's alright though.

cheers,
kristaps