To euryan: Long time - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great euryan 2010-04-10 20:25

Clark! Whats up man? I haven't been on Trekearth in forever and you've been posting some amazing photos. I really love this one. So original! Love the colors. The composition is what I love the most though. Perfect with the PP. Well done my friend.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:16 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To euryan: Long time

Hey, it's Ryan Thayne! Glad to see you back on the site! I think we all figured you'd gone the way of Henk, Luis, Peter, et al. I'm excited to see what you'll have this summer--I've been missing some good shots of the Wasatch Mountains.

Thanks for the compliments on my photos. It's nice to hear that someone thinks you're improving--I get out and shoot so infrequently (which means that I'm going back through the same old photos) that I have a hard time telling whether I've improved from a previous trip. But thanks for the affirmation.

Now, let's see some of those fantastic Western scenes. Good to have you back!

Clark
Old 04-13-2010, 04:41 PM
TE Junior Member

Well I hope I'm doing this right. I don't understand the new TE forums format. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I wont be posting any new photos anytime soon. I'm afraid I'm worse than Peter, Henk, and Louis. I haven't just stopped posted, I've stopped shooting. Ok, actually I'm still shooting, but not landscapes or anything that could be posted here. I've been getting into portrait photography. I sold out. My people photography sucks, but I'm making a lot more money this way. I can make more money shooting one wedding then all the money I ever made from my landscape photos put together. Pretty sad. Thats just how it goes. I know that most of us don't shoot landscapes for money. Its for the love. The passion. I certainly didn't do it for money.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:49 PM
TE Junior Member

Portrait photography, eh? No shame in that. Personally I find the whole "sellout" concept rather silly. Being a sellout means joining some of the all-time literary and artistic greats: Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Sir Christopher Wren, Handel--even Shakespeare in his early years. I sincerely doubt that all of them wanted to go exactly in the direction they ended up going for their patrons (in fact, Michelangelo supposedly resented needing the money he got for working on the Sistine Chapel, as he would have preferred not to). And yet their work is some of the greatest in Western history, and nobody thinks less of them for "selling out." So there's no shame in selling out as long as you're still doing quality work.

I don't sell my photographs personally for a couple reasons. One is that there's very little demand, hahaha... Another is that I lack a certain confidence in my photos to actually sell them to people--I don't want them to pay for something that, in general, I don't consider to be particularly outstanding. That's probably the main reason. That may change at some point in the future--who knows? But if you can sell your photos, and you choose to do so, why not? There's nothing wrong with it at all. And of course portrait photography is an excellent field. Given the saturation of portrait photographers in Utah, you must be doing a good job if people are paying you.

Personally I couldn't be a portrait photographer, but not out of principle: out of pure inability. It's taken a lot of work to improve my landscape photography, but I always had a good eye for a beautiful scene, even if I couldn't properly capture it. But people? I've got no eye for that at all. I took pictures of my family over Christmas, and they're awful. I haven't even dared post them on Facebook, they're so awful. I prepped for a long time to come up with poses, locations, etc., but they still were pretty blah. So good for you for being able to make the transition to portraits.

Anyway, this is already too long, but if the fit takes you to go back into the Wasatch Mountains and do some shooting, you definitely should. There's a reason I comment on the majority of both yours and Andre Roberge's photos--it's that you two are probably the two most versatile photographers I know of on this site. I look at my photos and I see, in general, a sense of sameness, even with all the different places I've been. Same with otherwise greats like Luis and Peter--great shots, but there's a similar vein to all of them, touching off something inside you that says "This is fantastic, but I feel like I've seen it before." With yours and Andre's photography, I can't say I've really ever felt that way. You do excellent work in pretty much any style, whether you think so or not, and it's a shame to give up your landscape photography entirely. So here's to hoping you get your landscape groove back.

Clark