Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great macjake 2018-07-03 4:29

Hi Paul
great post for TE, love this one. But as you say, Gert wouldn't be too happy here hahaha

after reading your note I have many questions. First of all, can you enter the Cathedral? In your note you said no but it doesn't look to have a fence or guards or security around. I'd be tempted to try. Or perhaps i'm not seeing the fence.

Second...so after all these years, the government still hasn't put any money into rebuilding this? wow...thats shocking. What's not shocking, sadly, is how the politicians at the time basically took the Aid money...how disgraceful is that - idiots.

The outer shell of the Cathedral looks to have held up, but then again we are far away. The lady holding the itmes on the left makes me laugh bc there are no tourists around, as you pointed out.

great TE post, wonderful
cheers
Craig

Old 07-03-2018, 05:42 PM
TE Expert

Default To macjake: Not impossible but ...

Thank you Craig,

You’re not allowed to enter the cathedral. The whole building is enclosed with barbed wire. Difficult to see on these pictures.
However it is not completely impossible to crawl under the barbed wire. Who’s very adventurous can get in.

I think this closure is meant to prevent accidents. You must realize that the cathedral is very dilapidated. On the picture the construction seems to be in a better condition than it is in reality. There are large holes in walls, ceilings, etc. Since the earthquake in 1972, pigeons have been flying in and out.
It is not just entering an empty building, but entering a very dilapidated construction.

Near the cathedral there’s a monument mausoleum, a tribute to commander Carlos Fonseca Amadar who fought against the Somoza dynasty.
This mausoleum has military surveillance and from there the military can see if someone crawls under the barbed wire.
Moreover, in Managua a foreigner is immediately noticed.
Personally, I think there are other and more beautiful adventures to experience in Nicaragua.

Yes, it is shocking how dictator Somoza used the money of the international aid for personal gain instead of helping the needy. That’s what happened in dictatorships in the 1970s. We must not forget how lucky we are to be born in our part of the world.
Even more shocking I found the comment of Chris on the earthquake in Italy in 1980.

Best wishes,
Paul