Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2019-01-04 2:31

Hello Jean,

What a beautiful painting - and what a wonderfully captured photograph of it!

As others have said, I very much doubt if any artist nowadays could get away with presenting an image such as this and animal rights protesters would probably make short work of it. But times change and three centuries ago thoughts were different.

I've just checked on the internet and I see that this painting is actually very small - just 13" x 9" - so you did wonderfully well managing to capture such a perfect photograph in what must have been rather difficult conditions as I can imagine the gallery was busy and you might well have been competing with others to get a decent view.

Yes, a brilliant photograph and a very interesting and informative note to accompany it.

If I have any criticism, it would only be that I might just have been tempted to crop off the very bottom of your photograph - just the bottom bezel of the frame where there is a rather bright reflection - and definitely keep the bit with Fabritius's name, etc.

Fabulous!

Kind Regards and Very Best Wishes for 2019!

John.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:40 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To tyro: The goldfinch

Hello John, thank you for your kind comments.

We arrived at the museum quite early in the day, so it wasn't too busy. In fact, I was surprised that this beautiful painting wasn't attracting more attention. We spoke to a Dutch couple, and they seemed to be totally unaware of this little gem.
I did my best with the sharpness, but actually the painting is almost 'Impressionistic' in its' style.
Best wishes
Jean.