View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 10:06 AM
TE Newbie

Talking To jhm: Hello John,

Yes, the 50 is indeed a nice portrait lens but I like to play sometimes.I also do portraits with long focals "just for the hell of it" (there are some interesting effects there) and full-body shots on longer focals do indeed look nicer... On my old D200 with its 1,5X crop factor, the 50 is equivalent to a 75 mm lens. Opening the diaphragm to the maximum (f/1,8 is what this lens allows) one gets this "miniature effect" with a strong foreground compression and sharpness all the way as it is still a rather "short" lens. The story is different on longer focals , as the DOF decreases.This combination of a rather short focal and wide open aperture allows for this unique effect I was aiming for, well spotted. A long long time ago a photography guru saw the young and inexperienced me picking up a second hand 50 mm at the hobby store and wondering "what is it good for" - and he told me: try this, put it on your camera, and go for a day of shooting with nothing else but this. And at the end of the day you will find out, but in my opinion..is good for whatever you make of it.So I still do that from time to time, and when I do it's " 50 day" .