Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great joseelias 2005-01-22 5:12

Fantastic expression. The very hard contrast, the struggle between light and shadow and the noise made this image look 100 years old! Despite all this, the amount of details seen in the womans vest (sari?) and face is great and I can almost feel the texture of it. I also like the detail of her hands. Does it mean anything? Like a compliment, or she was rubbing them one against the other?

Old 01-22-2005, 04:53 PM
TE Expert

Default To joseelias: the hands

hi jose
her hands are in put together in the namaste pose. it's used wither to greet , welcome people or to just pay respect.
she's wearing something called a shawl
which is a woollen cloth wrapped around the body for warmth
take care :)
Old 01-22-2005, 06:12 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To joseelias: the hands

The name of her vest is something very interesting, and a sign of the connection of our two countries. In fact we've imported several words from the your vocabulary. So I think the shawl became xaile (we have a piece of clothe with much about the same function), and also yours pajama (I think its how its written) became pijama and the last I remember for now was the adoption of the parayar cast name into the p嫫ia status/classifcation in here.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:28 PM
TE Expert

wow
thats quite interesting
to think of it.. the words must have been included in your dictionary quite recently.
you might already have an idea that portugal had colonised a state called GOA in india. today , goa is a world famous destination, so that might be one hint of how some of the words went across to portugal

there is another intersting fact , that you and jose , might already know. but in case you don't then let me add it.
in india, there are ummmmmmmm i'm not really sure but about 20 something main languages. just on our currency alone the denomination is written in 15 different languages.actually since i'm talking about the different languages , i might as well add, that we have 26 states and almost every state has its own culture, language, cuisine, etc. even the people look different in different pars of india. so it's as if india is made up of different countries itself.

ok back to languages..
there is an indian language called sanskrit. it's suppsoed to be the oldest language and is also supposed to be the root of all the languages in the world. "pajama i think is a hindi word. both "pajama" and "shawl" i think are new words and there is a possibility that they have been derived from some sanskrit roots.
so if you think of it, "pijama" might not have been derived from "pajama" but some old sanskrit root. maybe the same applies to the other words in portugese and if thats the case then maybe these words just sound alike and it's not as if a few words have been imported from india. since all the languages are suppsoed to have been derived form sanskrit, maybe some of the words in all the languages sound similar to words in some language or the other.
did you manage to understand me???? because i think i should stop here before i confuse myself :)
take care

p.s. you guys should come to india
Old 01-22-2005, 07:38 PM
TE Newbie

No, I believe that the inclusion of the words date from several centuries by now. Since Portugal has established commercial posts in India (besides Goa, also Dam緌 and Diu) since the 16th century and the Portuguese are easily adapted (many of the Portuguese discoverers fell in love with the women of the civilizations they discovered and soon were married) we included words from the locals in our language if they signified something new. Thats why our language is one of the most difficult in the world both in the amount of words, different meanings and different sounds produced.

And yes, I know about the variety of languages, cultures of look of people in India. Thats a very interesting issue, and if your country discover how to take advantage of that diversity thats a bigger richness than oil! :-)

As I said, these words came in fact from India, especially because their meaning is similar to the Indian significance, not just the pronounce. And there are more by I dont remember quite well my classes about India Get to go back to the university and end my course
Old 01-22-2005, 07:40 PM

Hi Sohrab!

Those replies were from me, Jos Elias... But as Sofia and me share the same pc sometimes I forget to change the user...
Old 01-22-2005, 07:44 PM
TE Expert

oh hi jose
well you
you've made some very interesting points here
yeah i know about daman and diu, but mentioned only goa, since it's the most famous out of the 3.
your knowledge on all this and also the rest is really impressive..
you seem to a quesiton bank on your own :)