Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 11:03 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Is "Copy-Paste" allowed? What's your opinion?

I've seen quite a few posts of photographs manipulated by the "copy-paste" technique. Just taking an element from some other picture (it could be the moon, a cat, a plane, clouds, etc.) and pasting it into the photo, supposedly "enriching" the composition, or achieving some pseudo-technical achievement. I believe that in the past such a thing was considered "heavy post processing", against the TOS, and the posts deleted.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:02 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Is "Copy-Paste" allowed? What's your opinion?

Hi Daniel;

I think you're 100% right, copy-paste is excessive PP work. If it's very well done, it could be hard for the moderators to detect and or justify/ prove for removing.
The moderators are only human, and it could be that they haven't seen these shots you're referring to... have you reported them?
Reporting photos helps the moderators to maintain the site, and it's completely anonymous- so no worries of repercussions.

Hope this helps,
- Dan
Old 04-24-2009, 04:02 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Daniel,

I've been seeing more and more of this in the past year and it seems pretty clear to me that it is outside the TE TOS. I'm not a "purist" by any means and use Photoshop to post-process my own RAW images. However, I draw my imaginary ethical line at adding things into a scene that weren't there in the first place. So many dramatic sunset skies added to a foreground that was front or side lit. So many huge and perfectly exposed moons supposedly captured at 17mm focal length. Most of these stick out like a sore thumb. I try to report these as I see them but there is almost no way for the mods to catch them all. I guess more disturbing is how many of these get rave reviews by even the more senior members of TE.

My personal opinion is that they shouldn't be allowed on TE given the current TOS.

Bob G.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Banned

using part of another image such as a better sky is against the ToS. period.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:01 AM
TE Expert

It's possible in TL only
Old 04-25-2009, 11:11 AM
TE Expert

This type of PP is most probably not allowed, and I would call that some kind of cheating...
;D
Old 04-25-2009, 11:12 AM
TE Expert

Hi Bob;

I think you might have been taking my previous statement as disagreeing- not at all. I fully agree that any copy and pasting of anything is excessive PP work and is thus not allowed. I'm just suggesting that in this day and age- where there are soooo many photoshop professionals, PP work can be so well done- I wonder if the mod's are able to prove it (in order to remove it).

In general- there are always people complaining about the mod's having missed this or that. I wonder if those people ever take the time to do their part for the site and report such infractions...

- Dan
Old 04-25-2009, 11:20 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Dan,

No, I think we are in complete agreement buddy. Sorry if I confused.

I'd never want to be a mod here on TE. Too many images and too many rules to try and track. As cool a community as this is I've actually decided to close up shop here and move to another site to simplify things and the mods have my complete respect on the chore at hand and the difficulties they have to endure.

I'm with you mate!

Bob G.