Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great bmukherjee 2010-01-12 19:13

Hello Somak,

Brilliant scenery. The trail and the hiker in the photograph create depth (which is often absent in photos of the himayalas.

Just a question about the Sunderdhunga trek: have you heard about the high altitude lakes Nag Kund and Devi Kund? I'm told they're accessible from the Sunderdhunga glacier, but I can't find further detail...

biswaroop

Old 01-13-2010, 03:54 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To bmukherjee: hi

we have been to devikund. but not nagkund - because no one could give us the right information. people generally camp at baluni & then go to devikund. but for going to nagkund one has to camp at devikund - & it will be freezing. baluni to devikund is a 3 hr trek & nagkund is 3-4 hrs from devikund.

your planning could be : loharkhet - khati - jatoli - kanthalia - devikund via baluni - nagkund - baluni - kanthalia/jatoli. kanthalia to baluni is a 2 hr steep walk.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:59 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To bmukherjee: hi

Thanks so much for the info! Finally someone who's been there:) I was looking around in Google Earth, and it turns out nagkund is just over one of the ridges at devikund... Must have been cold there in June (any water in the lake, or was it completely ice?) Hope to go there someday...

biswaroop
Old 01-17-2010, 05:50 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To bmukherjee: hi

Half the lake was frozen. But on the way you will encounter long stretches of hard ice patches which are very slippery. You must have a good guide, ice axe & ropes. Its really cold out there.