Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 04:14 PM
TE Newbie

Default Housekeeping of city lists

Hi

Does anyone know if there is a way to go about getting the "city" lists that appear on Trekearth corrected?

When looking through the site I frequently find that "cities" have been created under the wrong "state", or alternatively there may be multiple entries within the correct "state" because of mispellings.

An example is St Andrews which is in Fife. when you look under the "state" of Fife (in United Kingdom) there are 4 different spellings i.e. Saint Andrews, St Andrews, St. Andrews and St.Andrews. Also there are at least two other entries I have found for St Andrews, one under the "state" of Aberdeen and the other under the "state" of Dundee. These would appear to have been set up inadvertently and the correct "state" should have been Fife.

I am sure that a lot of this comes about because people may be unfamiliar with exact geography of a country that they may be visiting. Thats perfectly understandable and I am sure that I am as guilty as anyone else.

However as one of the objectives of the site is to learn about the world through photography it would be good if any inaccuracies could be corrected. Is there any way of flagging these up to get sorted?

Thanks
Finlay
Old 05-25-2010, 06:13 PM

Hi Finlay,

Probably the easiest way to report this kind of problem is to use the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page. Be as precise as you can about any problem you find as the site is managed from the USA and you know what their understanding of geography is like. (Just kidding)
Old 05-26-2010, 07:22 AM
TE Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks Keith I'll give that a try.

Finlay
Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 PM
TE Expert

Hi Finlay and Keith.

The same problem again and again and again...

If you go to Vienna (Austria), you'll find "Vienne", "Wien", "Vienna", "Schönbrunn Palace", "Vienna center", "Danau valley" and so on...

The only way to avoid that anarchy is to use a closed list. I mean, for every country, you can only choose a name in the list of cities (plus an "unknown" choice)... If the guy choose "unknown", the photo is automaticaly send to the people in charge of localisation for the area (I already said I was OK to do that for one or several french disctrict...)

Last edited by Loic_bzh; 05-26-2010 at 01:04 PM.