Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-19-2006, 05:00 PM

Default Re: "TE Welcome Day" initiative [To ALSOM]

Great idea, I like that :D
Old 10-19-2006, 06:15 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: The uncritiqued, any solutions?

Hi Adrian and everyone.
I扉e just taken a look at the first 10 pages of the uncritiqued images. Fom all of them, I noticed only two photographers were awarded 1.000 points. Most of them are newcomers, and my experience says they quite probably haven愒 read yet the TOS and the importance of criquiting as a means of learning, more than merely awarding points. Also, quite frequently an image comes with wrong info about the place it was taken. Thus, my suggestion is - and this is something I have been doing lately - to take a look at the gallery of my country/countries in which the official language is the same as my mother tongue and give the photographers not only my opinion about the image but also correct the place (if it is wrong) and give the photographer a general view of the site.
I think my favorits will understand my gesture and this is the minimum I can do for TE, a site that has given me far more than I could ever expect.
Stay well you all.
Isabel
Old 10-19-2006, 06:37 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: "TE Welcome Day" initiative

The options presently available is to visit:

"Welcome gallery" and
"Uncritiqued"

Maybe just to remember to visit those places would do the trick..
Old 10-19-2006, 07:21 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: The uncritiqued - too bad [to jrj]

It seems to be the quantity of critiques that are critical, not the quality.
The best kind for TE is the bland and meaningless critique. Hi Whoever, Great shot, I like the colour (or compo). TFS It seems to be the two points that matter, not the critique. I have discovered that if you say anything critical about a picture, even when most of you critique is praising it, the reaction is likely to be hostile. Is that why so many imperfect shots get no critiques? People get angry if they receive anything other than those anodyne, endlessly repeated, plaudits, and we prefer not to risk making people angry.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:00 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: The uncritiqued - too bad [from jrj]

If the purpose of a critic is at all times to give an in depth analyze of a photo then maybe the limit for writing critics should be 5 a day.

The present TOS is violated all the time in the sense that they are (imo) too detailed and demanding. As I see it TE is a place for amateurs i.e. as myself and not a forum for professionals (or maybe there should be a 'TE pro section'). Not least some can say shortly what others use lots of sentences for - doing the same critic more or less..

And for the 'imperfect shots' - when you have a limited time at TE I find it difficult to use that time on a photo of no interest and with no appeal - so there we are writing mainly some posetive critics and suggest maybe another way to do it with regard to some details.

But there are some members praising themself with a competetive spirit of writing very detailed in depth critics - so what. If this is in their liking (what it must be) it should be OK - seems to be space enough at Te for the most preferences..

And making people angry (if that is what happen) - what's the purpose of that?

Then of course: Points. An idea of our host - a complete irrelevant detail in the exchange of photos and views/critics about photos..
Old 10-20-2006, 06:35 AM
TE Senior Member

Its not about a competitive spirit of writing very detailed in depth criticsJack.
Its about writing any critique at all. The most useful critiques I had lately said Your PP work is too obvious The flash gives a too cold light Your PoV should have been lower Not exactly, detailed and in depth but very useful.
The problem for me is that, I think twice about writing that kind of critiques because such comment sometimes produce negative reactions. It seems some people only want praise. So, if we cant praise 100 percent we dont critique at all. Thus, a picture that seems to have some faults may go uncritiqued.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:29 PM
TE Junior Member

Who wants praise? I for one want only honest opinions, otherwise I cannot learn, and this takes away one of the most important purposes of being at the site... I want to be serious about photography, I want to make progress, so if you see faults in my photos - tell me, I am not that easily offended!...:)
Old 10-20-2006, 03:45 PM
TE Newbie

Hi to all, I have read all this post and I have two photos that I was going to deleat as they never get a criquiting Carbisdale Castle and my Strathmore River, so what I am asking as a still learning kind of person is before I deleat them off, will some of you kind experts tell me what parts dont work so that I can learn, dont leave any points I just want the hard facts and be ruthless I will not be ofended, then I can deleat them on saturday but at least I might learn something.
Regards
DB
Old 10-20-2006, 05:12 PM
TE Newbie

Looking through this site it seems that it doesn't really do what, when I first found it, I thought it might. That is, help improves one's photography. The site is full of praise, and ignores photos that might USEFULLY be critiqued, and I think people post photos that they knwo are great (thus get to bathe in praise), rather than ones they need help with. And in any case most critiques are banal and not much use any way: "hey, nice colours!"
Old 10-20-2006, 06:41 PM
TE Expert

Well donald 'on demand' I did look at your photos and made a critic.

In general I do not think the forum is the place for such requests. Maybe it is a better option to email directly some members you know or respect if you are not happy with the feedback you have or you want more feedback.