Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-04-2007, 02:41 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Stealing but nasty

Someone brought to my attention that one of my pictures has appeared on a gay website: www.stickyrice.ws. This site seems to be aimed at providing information for sex tourists, that is, Western men who want to have sexual access to young Asians men. It was hard to track the picture down because the site uses a revolving set of pictures, so that sometimes when you open the site and my picture is there and the next time is not.

What distressed me is not the theft of copyright, but the offense to the child concerned. He was a Thai schoolboy, about 14 years old, photographed at a religious ceremony. The picture was entitled Drummer Boy. One the website, his face appears surrounded by specifically sexual material in a context that could imply that he is one of the 'boys' sexually available. He and his parents would be horrified, if they knew this.

I have sent an email to the editor pointing out that the subject is a child and demanding the removal of the picture, but I have received no reply and the picture is still there.
This raises another issue for me, there is, not only the question of the photographer's rights but also those of the subject. My picture was just a portrait but I have noticed some pictures of naked children appearing on TE. Maybe we should be more aware that our pictures may be put to use that would be offensive to the subject and that the subjects privacy might be unintentionally violated. This has certainly made me think about what sort of pictures I might post in future.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:48 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Stealing but nasty

utterly dispicable.

and another reason to have the photos locked and not able to be dragged and dropped from the site by who ever happens to find it.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:29 PM
TE Senior Member

Kevin,
I'm realy sorry and shocked to read this.
I hope you have succes, in this case I realy recommend you to have Adam help you. Maybe other members have suggestions how to get your photo removed.
This is sick!
Old 04-04-2007, 03:44 PM

"utterly dispicable.

and another reason to have the photos locked and not able to be dragged and dropped from the site by who ever happens to find it."

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to prevent anybody who is determined, from copying an image off one website and posting it on another. If there was a way of locking the images on TE it would also make it impossible to create workshops, and that function is central to the operation of TE in my opinion.
I agree that what has happened to the image in question is utterly despicable, but action is needed to shut down those sites and lock up those involved. Stopping posting perfectly legitimate content on legitimate sites is not the answer.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:52 PM
TE Senior Member

In this case we then should be able to lock SOME of the fotos, although I know it's not the answer.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:02 PM
TE Newbie

Very sad news Kevin . I 've just read the choice one TE member adopted . He decided to post in very reduced format far below than 200x800 and even with this it turns out to be difficult to prevent photo theft or manipulation , al least in TE that seems not to be a safe place where both display and keep safe our works through . Maybe adding a little symbol in every picture uploaded , written in it a sort of TE copyright label or mark , something like this and asuming everyone of us that our pictures will be touched with that sort of label . Even with reduced versions our pictures are prone to be stolen and used for unpredictable purposes . So sadly it conditions a lot the way we can post or even the subject taking care of not portraiting a child , a woman in certain circumstances , contexts ...
Old 04-04-2007, 06:34 PM

Don't get me wrong. I do sympathise with the sentiment expressed here about the theft of images in general and the misuse of them in the way described in particular.

The fact remains that the only way to be certain that your images can't be stolen is not to post them on the internet in the first place.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:51 PM
TE Expert

It is perfectly possible to put a TE stamp on every photo seen only by people who are not logged in. When they are logged in to steal, their account can be easily removed then.

Maybe if all members, victimized by piracy, give all in the hand of one lawyer,
legal persecutions can be brought together.

Using photos of minors on a sex site is already a criminal act,
a complaint to a vice squad can be followed up internationally.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:00 PM
TE Junior Member

Maybe this site can automaticly watermerk all photo's that are uploaded? That would be a big improvement, because lots of photo's from here are stolen and used elsewhere.
Since one month I'm selling my pics on stocksites and there are actually people paying for those pictures (also for small webversions) so why give it to them for free by posting photo's without watermarks?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:29 PM
TE Junior Member

That is very sad that they would steal a picture and use it in a place like that. I also recently joined some stock photo websites. Someone bought a picture that was the exact resolution as I have it posted here. I think it sounds like a great idea to watermark images when you're not signed in.
Kevin