Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great kwazireal 2007-11-17 2:47

I have NO criticism of this image, which I think is terrific in every respect. I did want to address others whose criticism and workshop suggested off-centering the subjects, however.

Reading the photographer's response to one critique reveals this was an impromptu shot, making it true photojournalism. Because of this, the "rules" can be relaxed, especially the rule which mandates mandatory off-centering-the-main-subject rule (and I am being deliberately redundant about this statement).

The important aspect of having these women front-and-center in this image is the essential CONTEXT provided by all of the background taken together. The recessed doorway, the stoop, the angularity and scope of the walls, and, the coloration of the whole scene. None of that could have been cropped without detracting from the editorial value of this scene.

One workshop shows the image cropped in full faithfulness to that rigid-rule-requiring-offsetting-the-subject-from-the-center rule (deliberately redundant statement). Take a look at the result: the aspect ratio of the image is so out-of-wack that the whole "look and feel", the whole sense of place and the relaxed mood of the original have been cropped away and thrown on the virtual digital editing floor. Nah, that was a poor crop, causing a much bigger problem only to satisfy some Photography 101 basic "RULE".

Old 11-17-2007, 06:28 PM
TE Newbie

Default To kwazireal: Thanks

Thanks for the comment. I think, that you very well understand rules of photographing, construction of a composition in the staff. Because your analysis is really very close to the truth. It is very interesting comment. However I would like to admit, that during the moment of shooting I did not reflect on construction of the staff, and simply wished to catch this moment in african morning scene and to fix it.