Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great cdewet 2004-10-29 16:29

Hi Elroyie
Splendid, the 1.4 works wonders. That Kenko is a VERy good converter. I shot the sun at 600 mm last month and got the same strange colour cast running bottom to top, with the sun also not round but a bit flattend. Do you know what cause this? Very strong impact!

Old 10-29-2004, 11:35 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To cdewet: Deformation

Hi Callie,
The deformation of the circle shape of the sun is caused by the long way that the light has to go through the atmosphere when the sun is low. There is a difference of the atmosphere "thickness" between the "lower" and the "upper" sides of the sun, and therefore, the effect is not equal for those parts.
It's a great shot, Anyway.
Y.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:46 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To Yitzhak: Deformation

Hi Yitzhak
Yes, I am aware of this, But I have never seen it like this until recently. All my previous picures had the sun round, evem on the horizon. I think it is a function of teh Didital magnification. Even the edges of the sun is ragged on my pics as well.
Regards
Callie
Old 10-31-2004, 03:11 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To Yitzhak: Deformation

Hi
I saw that Yizhak answered your question so I didn't interrupt, I have an example of the sun without the converter, it is also not round and the atmosphere is the right explanation, it is hapenning when the sun is 'kissing' the horizon, here are an examples:
http://www.pbase.com/elroyie/image/31582713
http://www.pbase.com/elroyie/image/33697859
I think that the wheather at the shooting moment has also influence, like humdity and more.

Another point, I think that the converter is adding a little bit CA to the pictures, you can see it around the sun, there are a little bit coloured edges.

Elroyie