Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-25-2004, 01:48 AM
TE Expert

Default CRITIQUE CONTINUED HERE

i think this issue needs to be documented with much more care. at the moment it seems that you didn't give them anything , but you yourself stole something form them (their photograph)
i'm happy you're worried about certain social issues in your country though
regards and take care :)
Old 11-25-2004, 06:20 PM
TE Junior Member

Default and here

Sohrab is more than right, and i agree with him totally.
You are right about you note, the part about how these things function. But do not be so repulsed, my friend...you will never get to be the greatest photographer in the world if you do not get implicated. Belive me. You seem rebelious, like you would want a cure for all of this...why is that?
I have lots of photos like this one, but i did stop and give money, time, a story, a cup of something warm, a bite to eat to my subjects. Do that--give them things the bosses wouldn't need.
Be compassioned, that is what this kind of photography is all about.

I do expect a reply on this, please.

Bogdan.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:32 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: CRITIQUE CONTINUED HERE

Things got hot here..

Guys, I know what I'm talking about. After a while living in a city, and not 'closing your eyes' when walking on the street, you get to know the figures.

I don't say that SOME of these kids put there for begging don't need the money. I DO give money to them, when I feel it's worthy. Get this scenario : I see a kid, small kid, all dirty, and I was with a friend (girl). We thought why giving them money, let's get him something to eat. I bought a bunch of bannanas, and guess what he asked when I was giving him the food ? "Can you give me some money ?"

I DON'T want to judge. I don't want to give the idea that East Europe is full of this, because it isn't. If you're looking for it, you can find it, of course. I just have doubt about at least half the cases.

I know this 2 kids in the photo. They're not appreciating what you give them. For them, it's greed. They buy some food, but what's with the rest of the money. I was talking some time ago with a small girl, and asked her how much she's making a day - now do the math : 7-900.000/day. The average income is 6.000.000. Now, is she poor ?

Look, I met a lady staying in the door of her house, with a lost look, not saying a word. I felt she needed something. I passed closer, and she asked for bread. Of couse I gave her as much as I could.

It's not the case of needing, being hungry. It's a social trend, a business, which we don't judge, because we're affraid to think of, and we just close our eyes and give money - this is not what it takes. It takes guts to look the person in the eye, and SEE what she needs.

I want all the profitors to get lost, and show up those who really need help.

If I want to do a social reportage (thanks for these critiques, they got me set to do a photo essay on the subject), I WILL give them a cup of something hot, something to eat - to make them talk to me. But that's not helping. It's buying their story. Helping is by heart, and I don't feel it when I looked at those in this photo.

ps: Bogdan, I'm sure you saw Filantropica..
Old 11-25-2004, 10:40 PM
TE Junior Member

Default here too, two.

Hehe..sure i did, my friend..sure i did.
BUt you shouldn't be so upset..if you want to make a difference, make a cover story on it..though it may be dangerous.. But do that..
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Romania/photo103782.htm

This is a photo of mine...of the same matter. I also know their faces, rest assured. But i do try to take out the metaphor in it, and not show a 'five o'clock news'(for Baba, a news bulleting that only covers murders, thefts, rapings, and such) like story..
Can you understand me, my friend? My number in 0722639210. Give me an sms in the weekend(find a connex number), and will call you.
;).
Old 11-25-2004, 10:50 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: here too, two.

:) ok, we'll talk. maybe not this saturday - elections and stuff. don't worry, i got your point, and i know what you mean. meanwhile, my e-mail is [email protected]
Old 11-25-2004, 10:59 PM
TE Expert

hi andrei
things didn't get to heated here , dont worry :)
i understand what you mean by these kids not appreciating what they want and also theur "greed"
all i was asking you do to was not to forget that something drove them to be "greedy" and not appreciative of what they got. most people are moulded by the society in which they live. they were unlucky not to have had a childhood like yours. there are a few of them though, i'm sure, who are different, probably they're stronger...

your arguments in the latter half of the note are quite strong and make me rethink. i guess i can't be too good a judge of these issues in romania. i see the same scenes in india, but there is now way that they earn even a fraction of what the average income is and to top it all , there are so many other social variable that come into play the prime example being the caste system you have the untouchable who're treated like sh#t

a photostory seems to be a good idea, you should try it
do you know bogdan???
take care :)
Old 11-25-2004, 11:27 PM
TE Junior Member

Baba, if Romania is smaller than India, it doesn't mean that we all know eachother, hehe.
I will get to meet Andrei, don't worry. he is tallented, and i like his work.

Got the offline messages i left you?

Bogdan.