Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-30-2004, 09:16 AM
TE Newbie

Default Told my pics are too small

I have been messaged that my pics are too small. I realise that there is a limit to the Kb size of pics we can post. I use Adobe Photoshop 6.0 and Elements 2.0 to edit my pics. Any advice that can be given to make my pics larger but be within the size limit of the site would really be very welcome. I have quite a few pics I'd like to post in the site and share. Thanks to all in advance. Stephen.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:37 AM
TE Newbie

Default too small ?

Hi Stephen,

it is true that the photographs presented are a little small. A larger format would undoubtedly emphasize them better, while allowing us to better appreciate the details of them. You can choose a format 800X600 - 70 Dpi which is accepted by TE.

when you record an image with photoshop, this one includes information like the type of apparatus used, the date ... a heap of infos which have an importance only very relative, and weigh down the weight of your photograph.

when you finished to work on your photograph, you can bring the last adjustments with a software like "Corel photopaint" that will cause to destroy informations added by photoshop, and so to reduce the weight of the photograph

Cordialy
M.A.S
Old 11-30-2004, 12:33 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Told my pics are too small

Hi Stephen,

If you're using Photoshop it's very simple to resize images to the maximum allowed on TrekEarth, I use the following methods:

1/ If you want to resize and post the whole image, i.e, you don't want to crop any of it, simply go to the top menu bar and choose Image/Size, a box appears, just enter the maximum width of 800, the height will automatically change to 600 (give or take a few pixels depending on the make of camera), and it the okay button, save as a JPG using whatever method you prefer.

2/ If you want to show only part of the image, you need to crop it obviously, here's where a bit of work is involved, but again, it's very simple, firstly decide what aspect ratio you require, this can be any figure, but 800x600 (or vice versa), or 800x800 are the most popular at TrekEarth.

Select the crop tool from the toolbar, if you look at the top of the screen you'll see some boxes, one is labelled width, another is depth, enter your chosen figures here, i.e 800 in the width, 600 in the depth, make sure you put the letters px after the figure, i.e 800 px, if you forget this bit Photoshop may size the crop using centimetres or another measurement, depending on how the preferences are set.

Draw out a rectangle on your image by holding down the left mouse button until you're happy with how much image you want to keep, now let go of the mouse button, you can further refine your selection by moving the rectangle around to exactly the position you want.

Finally click the okay button at the top of the screen, it's the one that is a tick/check mark.

Photoshop will then crop the image and resize it to your chosen final size, ready for you to save.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:01 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Told my pics are too small

Thanks mike, I thank you for the trouble you took to make a large and detailed reply. Trust me that I have printed out the reply and will be trying your advice.

Stephen.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:08 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: too small ?

Thank you Martine.

I will bear your advice in mind. I don't have Corel photopaint but will try the programmes I have and see if they work.

My regards

Stephen.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:59 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Another way to crop...

Like most processes in Photoshop there's also an alternative method for cropping your image to a specific aspect ratio, and that's to use the rectangular marquee tool, slightly different method.

Have your image on screen in the view/fit on screen mode as you would with the crop mode.

Select the rectangular marquee tool, you'll see some option boxes at the top of the screen, set the style to Fixed Aspect Ratio, and in the width and height boxes enter the following:

For a square image use 1 for both boxes.

For the standard wider than tall ratio enter 1 for width and 0.75 for height (or reverse this for taller than wider crops.)

Follow the same procedure as for using the crop tool, drawing out a rectangular box round the part of the image to keep, and again, you can move the box as needed.

Go to Image/Crop to finish the process.

This only crops your image, so you will need to resize as necessary using the Image/Size option as before.