Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great mkamionka 2020-12-04 7:47

Hi Chris,
that looks like a very charming place!
I had the pleasure to see many places in Egypt but this is still on my list. I know what you mean: I benefited this year from Covid in a way that there were not many people around...
I wonder what is more dangerous terrorist attacks or the virus?
I suppose people perceive threat in different way.
There was a case of a but being attacked in this area as well? Not the tourist bus but a but with Egyptian Christians I think.
The goats add such a charming touch.
Very well done,
M

Old 12-04-2020, 04:41 PM
TE Expert

Default To mkamionka: Egypt

Hi Mariusz

Some research uncovered this:

26 May 2017 Minya attack, In May 2017, gunmen executed at least 28 Christian pilgrims traveling in a bus during a visit to the monastery of St. Samuel the Confessor in Minya Governorate.

2 November - 2018 At least seven killed and seven wounded when Bedouins loyal to ISIL opened fire on a bus-load of Coptic pilgrims travelling between Cairo and Minya on its way to a monastery.

I caught a train from Cairo to Luxor for about $100 US. Minya is around 1/2 way. I did not exit the train there. I would be wary of tour buses in Cairo to Giza Pyramids as well. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-48328793 (The 4 Vietnamese killed Dec 2018 were at the Giza bus station enroute to the pyramids.) I caught the metro to Giza and from there got a taxi. Getting back I had to ask someone in a cafe to call a taxi for me to get back to Giza Metro. They aren't super expensive like in parts of Europe or Australia. Just stay away from Coptic Churches unless they're heavily guarded by armed police. There have been several suicide bombings. :-(