Am I the only one....? - Page 3 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 10:03 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Am I the only one....? FOR DAN ;-))

To the one wondering if they are the only one ...
I would just suggest to read carefully the complains: about copyright, about how IB manages communications, about how IB did take in account all memebers suggestions (in fact did'nt take into account) when running the beta of new site ...

You may not agree, this is your choice and it is respectable. Just respect others as they respect you.

regards
JMarc
Old 06-21-2009, 10:46 AM
TE Expert

Oh well,
through TE-history you can notice repetitive growing tendencies,

the increasing sheltering groups by listings, language ....
of people who are concerned only of their own pleasure
and
others concerned about the community giving suggestions to improve
that could even benefit the first not that engaged group for a better TE-spirit

but
the 'Divide et impera' TE-policy created conflicts between those groups
seen as animation by the owners while it bitters only the taste of the site

growing tendency of dominating google publicity
not in coexistence of the member's requests
resulted in aggressive reproach of this step motherly attitude of the site-owners towards their supporting members,
the WIN-WIN feeling between members site-owners drifted apart, damaging the trust

Members are not to blame
as they all feel trapped in this declining mood of togetherness,
no one should be blamed for bricks thrown at each other
caused only by the unhappy feeling about the increasing indifference of the site-owners
that proved to be only shaken up by aggressive expression of mal-contentment
growing ever since Adam sold TE to IB's partnership

IB should be aware that only a fare trade between members and owners would bless their business.

Of course it is not surprising at all that some discovered a whole world of possibilities outside TE,
escaping the feel to be victimized by the rather selfish attitude of IB not to enlarge the system towards needs and trends seen on other sites,
the only way to be not bothered by it, is to put your head in the sand and be happy with what you can eat from their hands.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:02 AM
TE Junior Member

Yes I fully agree with you and this is why I consider that all TE members should respect each other independently from their own opinions.
Best regards
JMarc
Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 AM
TE Expert

On the nail Henk

"the WIN-WIN feeling between members site-owners drifted apart, damaging the trust"

we had such a personal relationship with Adam - perhaps not always agreeing but a different level of respect......the difference between working with an individual and a corporation.

Perhaps we need to clearly state our own posting requirements in respect of copyright - e.g. the variations under the creative commons licence for instance - spelling out clearly how our images may be or may not be used. Even posting a link to each individual photograph as we put them up.

best wishes Kev
Old 06-23-2009, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Am I the only one....?

There was a group called 'The Only Ones' back in about 1978; their biggest hit was called 'Another Girl, Another Planet'! So perhaps there can be more than one only one.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:11 PM
TE Newbie

You are not the only one.
In a big community there are always those who want to separate and make their on religion.

I am not worried about copyright issues when we speak of 300kb images. If someone wants to publish my images its no big issue. Of course they should mention the source at least with a link to the original image.

I could even think that we could create a publishing policy here. If an image is published "officially" somewhere it could get a stamp "published". Some financial compensation (pay pal etc.) could be also appropriate if TE would sell the image.

I am more concerned about the level of the critiques and workshops. There are a lot of legendary old critiques many of which are now unobtainable because of various reasons.

Pentti
Old 11-09-2009, 11:30 PM
TE Newbie

people don't like changes but they like to complain. it is human nature.
some old members were long time ago new members and had good and poor quality photos. One day, they become good and forgot that TE is about learning about world through photography. TE used to be great and is still great, it is how we make it.
TOS said we should give positive critisism, so instead of complaining about poor photos we should advise them how to improve them. Every photo has its own beauty as someone tried to capture the beauty of this world. Photography is art and you make like it or not, what is good for me it may not be good for you, it is how you perceive it.The beauty is just a personal taste
I'm removing my points as I got impression all this points are creating competition, rivalry, jelaousy etc. I am not here to judge anyone I am here to learn and enjoy seeing beauty of the world and photography.
And Dan don't worry whatever we do in our lives there always be someone to complain
people who complain should read forum by maglex 'What is TE for you?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:27 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Dan
last night reading this page, I got little bit upset about some comments on new members. Everyone so far has been friendly, welcomed me and gave me good advice.
I believe that those people who are complaining is a minority on TE. Well, they have right on their opinion and right to complain. We just shouldn't let them upset us.
I will continue to enjoy TE photos
Katie
Old 11-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Hi Katiep,

What a breath of fresh air your comments are. It's good to see considered opinion rather than rants. I broadly agree with what you say about personal taste, but & it is a big BUT, I think many members who have been on the site for a number of years would agree that there was a period when a much higher percentage of shots than usual were no more than poor snapshots. People were joining an complaining that they could only post one image per day when they had dozens they wanted to post. Those people were clearly missing the point of what this site is all about.
I would dearly love to see the site used in the way it was 'way back when'. That is to say people seemed to give much more thought to what was posted and there were much more considered critiques and very few "Good shot" or "Nice colour" offerings.
Any site develops, changes, mutates over time but I really do feel that TE seemed to be losing the battle at one point. Hopefully things can get back on an even keel and we can all work toward a common goal of being members of the best photo critiquing site on the web. (Not much of an aim is it?) :-)
Old 11-12-2009, 04:13 AM
TE Senior Member

Hi Katiep.
Maybe TE, as it now is, is exactly the sort of site you want. A place where members can upload an average snapshot and be told by a group of friends that it is wonderful and make one feel good.

Maybe I could open one of your pictures and tell you that it is wonderful, without really looking at it, of course, because that would take too much time. Then you could open one of mine and tell me, that my poor shot it is wonderful, in return. But where would such a silly game get us?

At one time, the site had many talented photographers, uploading images of real quality; images that one could learn from. Also there were dedicated photographers who would honestly critique ones work, give advice and help one improve.

One massages the ego of average photographers; the other pushed the average photographer to become better. Now! I know which one I prefer.