Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great abulafia 2006-07-08 13:42

Hi Herve
Good shot, and no matter how people react, this is everyday life in big parts of china.
TFS
Harry

Old 07-08-2006, 09:40 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To abulafia: Hi Harry

As a Chinese, I'm obliged to tell you that your 'statement' is somewhat too generalized, even ignorant ;)

The size of China and her population is larger than western Europe and consists of different cultures say Han, Zhuang, Uygur, Hui, Yi, Tibetan, Miao, Manchu, Mongol, Buyi, Korean...etc.

Yet only a handful of Cantonese people eat dogs. And the Cantonese is just one of the many 'divisions' of the Han people, others include Xianese, Bejingnese...etc the list goes on.

Take Hong Kong as an example, the majority of the population is Cantonese - but you don't see any dogs in any markets, I think it's forbidden to sell dog meat.
Even in Guangdong not many people eat dogs nor do they eat them everday, since most Cantonese people, like the rest of world, has dogs as their pets.

This is definitely not everyday life in big parts of China nor is it the way of life in the Guangdong Province.

No, I don't approve of dog eating. But I see it unfair to say that 'big parts of China' eat dogs.

Have a nice weekend :)
Old 07-08-2006, 11:56 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To abulafia: Hi Harry

Thanks for setting me straight. I probably was too generalizing in my ignorant statement, but i have seen dogs at the butcher stalls in the markets of guangdong, but must admit that i havent seen them further north. The only thing i was trying to state, was that i find it refreshing to see pictures of real life here on TE, and that sometimes peoples reactions are a little too sensitive.
But judging on your reaction, it seems that my comment didn't come out right.
Sorry if i offended you, it wasn't intentially.

Harry
Old 07-09-2006, 04:02 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To abulafia: Hi Harry

Hi Harry,

No, I'm not really that offended, but wanted to tell you my view. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Have a good Sunday (& World cup match!)

CheukHin