Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Davids 2007-07-29 9:55

And I always think what the difference is between a dog and a cow or a pig. Why is this so bad? Because we have them as pets, play with them.
Yep, hard to look at, but it's my own fault, shouldn't buy products animals are killed for.
Thanks Herve, the real TE, even when it's not nice, but knowing you a little bit, I don't think you enjoyed it also.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:50 PM
TE Expert

Default To Davids: :-(

Yes, I love dogs (live!), but I must say the whole market was a sorry sight, cats in cages, stacked chicken, I am just glad it was shot in 1989, so long ago. Not sure if they cleant up since then, I'd rather not know...

Thanks for your comment on this old contribution.

H
Old 07-30-2007, 12:04 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To Davids: :-(

In 1989 I traveled on Java, when a young kid showed me a market in Yogyakarta with anything alive to be eaten. I was partly in a shock; cats, dogs (puppies), turtles, birds, bats.
I took one lousy slide of the two puppies, but was told to put my camera away (little plastic box from Kodac that made scratches on my film).
Funnt that you took the photo in the same year! Where you still in China when the Students 'revolted'? Did you notice anything back then?
I just arrived in Indonesia after it happened, and I met three foreignes who were 'guided' out of Bejing to a destination of choise three days after it started.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:36 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Davids: :-(

I was there in February, some 3 months before the events. Also, Canton is the only place I went to, all I noticed was the place was indicative of the big boom China undertook, still a 1000 bikes for a car then (maybe now too?).

I'd love to go again, but the places I want to go to, are hard to reach by road (Yunnan, S-E China), and it is getting more and more difficult to travel 18hours on a bus for my 52 YO carcass. Flying is also expensive, and that would take me to one place only.

I am also having a conflict. I love to travel, but staying in one place/region is what i dig most, especially going back. So I am torn between discovering places before I die (Africa, south/central america) and sedentary journeys around a few chosen spots I would deepen my knowledge and feeling for. I think given everyone can go anywhere now, the second proposition may be the most special and personal type of journeys.

Warmly,

H