Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great maloutim 2007-10-08 13:28

Hi Howard!
This is a nice view of Chenonceau, and quite original too, as you don't see the river on it, like on most pictures of this monument.
I hope you don't mind me adding it to my group theme " Bridges (covered ) in Europe". At first, there was only the square castle by the side of the river, built by Catherine Bri蔞nnet, wife of the king's finance minister.
They soon died after the completion of the castle in 1521, and due to the owners' debts, it passed to the king, Fran蔞is I.
Under king Henri II, in 1547, it was offered to his famous beautiful mistress: Diane de Poitiers, who had the bridge over the river Cher built, in order to reach the gardens on the other side.
When Henri II died in 1559, the regent queen Catherine de M嶮icis took her revenge, by confiscating the chateau , and using it for her own luxurious court. She then had a three-floor gallery built on the bridge, where she organised sumptuous receptions.
I hope you don't mind me adding two WS photos to your posting, to show how the gallery was actually built on a bridge. They are not my own photos; that's why I can't do my own posting on the chateau.
TFS.
Marie Louise.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:25 AM
TE Newbie

Default To maloutim: Chenonceau

I was very flattered by your comment, and appreciated your additional historical notes. Thanks for the addition of the "water view" of the chateau in the workshop.