Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great trekks 2009-05-11 5:46

hi Jose

When I 1st open this view, I started to ask if this a stitched job and reading your note, I see that you will do one for the facade. It will be a task doing such a stitch because I imagine you would have to walk along to shoot the overlapped photos in this kind of narrow street.

Very interesting challenge just to think of it.

This is a great vertical format view of the narrow lane and using the UWA angle, it would be surely distortion which I guess you did very well with some corrections to minimize it here?. Looks great to see the details.

I have done some shots meant for stitch jobs but obviously I made silly mistakes on the lack of overlapping space enough to stitch the features. Manual work perhaps but it would be a lot of effort for later try.

tfs, bill

Old 05-11-2009, 10:00 PM
TE Expert

Default To trekks: Stitch and distortions

Hi Bill,

This isn't a stitch, but it could have been an exposure blending if I had brought the tripod with me. I am a bit surprised that I could control the high contrast using only one shot.

You guessed right about the need to move while shooting the facade. The street was too narrow and the facade too wide and tall to do it other way, unless I did like Didi and used literally dozens of shots using a medium focal length. If you already experimented stitching software, you may already discovered that things get complicated when you want to stitch images shot in different positions. As a matter of fact, that is an impossible task for me. I have found some articles on what to do to achieve it, but I never experimented them, namely because it sounded complicated still. Maybe one of these days, that's why I say on the note that I still hope to do it.

As for the distortion, one of the things that impressed me the most in the Sigma 10-20mm is that it practically doesn't present distortion. The Olympus 14-45mm, which is far from having a bad reputation, produces more barrel distortion at 14~16mm than the Sigma at 10mm. Anyway, in most situations I find very easy to correct the barrel distortion in Gimp, something I didn't need to do here. As for the perspective distortion, or just convergence, that's another issue. I applied it here, but as usual I preferred to kept some convergence for 2 reasons: i) I find that a 100% correction looks unnatural and a sense of inclination; ii) the buildings would look exaggeratedly tall.

Regards,
Jos
Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To trekks: Stitch and distortions

Probably I pointed it to you already, but I have one 100% "manual" stitch produced with shots taken along a line parallel to the facade. You can see it <a href='/gallery/photo733248.htm' target=_blank>here</a>.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:57 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To trekks: Stitch and distortions

hi Jose

Thank you for your time and effort to explain this work. I think stitch job really takes a lot of trial and error effort to make it work the way you want it. But if successful it is very satisfying, as if you have 'produced' a great picture with your camera itself.

I recently saw the performance of Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 and recommended a buy to my friend, so I will be checking out on that even though it is not for film format cameras.

Regards, bill