Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PrzemekN 2011-06-28 2:02

Hello Stephen!
As for my liking - the photo is great. Although - on one hand, nothing special happens in the frame, yet - on the other hand, you managed to catch the specific atmoshpere of that special type of light you mentioned. Which - in fact - is quite difficult.
The result is superb. Composition-wise, the photo is correct in my oppinion, can't say what can be done better. Exposition also is ok - no white-outs, or black-outs. The photo might be better if the colours will be a bit warmer - then the effect of the light on the mountains will be more pleasant to the eye - here it is more dramatic.
Anyway - this is the type of scene I like very much. Northern clouded sky, and sun forcing its way through it. So very "norwegian".
I like it a lot!
And by the way - one question - how do you find your lens? It is quite a good choice (relatively low price) and as I see on the picture - good quality. Is the focal length range satisfactory for that type of photography (mountain landscapes), or bigger length would be better in your oppinion?

Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 PM
TE Newbie

Default To PrzemekN: Thank you!

Thank you, Aga! Your critique is very useful. I agree that the light at the moment of the photo was very warm and that it is very hard to capture right. I am however better at adjusting photos in photoshop than taking well exposed photos which needs no adjusting in afterhand. Partly it is hard with with amature equipment. I was at the time fairly happy with the lens wich is usefull in pretty much all situations given the good range of it. Now I've changed pretty much all of my equipment and therfore its hard to compare. I think it was a very good lens for my camera at the time. My camera was probably the week point and not the lens. I've found that 70-200mm is very usefull in these landscapes given the large distanses. You very seldom have use for the wide angle wich in my opinion takes the perspective and feeling out of the sceen. The longer range is probably wise for animal photography.