Photographer's Note

Sant'Anatolia di Narco

On the shores of the Nera River, to 328 m. sea level, lies the small town of Sant'Anatolia di Narco. This pleasant village, whose main resource is agriculture, is now mainly a tourist destination during the summer.
The origins of this country are not well documented, but is sure the presence of the Etruscans in pre-Roman times. Of that era are the finds of pottery and decoration.

It is a country of Valdinarco raised on a small river terrace, at the foot of Mount Coscerno framed by hornbeam maple and oak woods of Aleppo pine. The name seems to save him, because it was the center of the first peoples Naharci Sabini, according to others by the river Nar (Black) or according to others, Syrian monks, and finally, by the name of one of the four noble French Narco, which would rule Valnerina and have built Castel San Felice.

In 1883, a necropolis was discovered in the voc. Piano with urns, bronze shields, jewelry, clay pots, now in the Archaeological Museum of Florence, referring to the period Sabino (VIII-IV century BC.). The Roman period we have two funerary inscriptions of Tito and Lucio Casidore Veiano Suro, inserted in the wall of the church of Santa Maria delle Grazie. It was then a Roman Vicus and certainly the people withdrew the hill to avoid flooding of the Black and the passage of troops. Christianity was brought there by Syrian monks in the fifth century. This area has long depended on from the town of Interamna (Terni), even when we did the diocese, as seen from the Bull of Benedict III 856. On 31 January the Valnerina 962 was given by Otto I to John XII, on the occasion of his coronation. In 1155 it passed through the army of Barbarossa, and direct from Rome to Spoleto, which was destroyed. Curtis in the eighth century there was a Lombard, who became the twelfth century castle Naharco (1178) built by Conrad of Urselingen and then passed to the Church in 1198. The castle was destroyed by the Swabian Spoleto, which n'edificarono Another neighbor, who gave the name of Santa Anatolia, in honor of the Virgin and martyr. Anatolia Callistene (the best) is recorded by the martyrology July 9 and was martyred together with his sister Victoria in 251 in Gallo Treboniano successor of Decius, in Tora, the confluence of Turano with the Velino. It was pierced by the sword. He belonged to the noble Roman family of Frangipani Anici. The Benedictine spread in our part of the cult of the saint and the church here was dedicated.

Rainald, son of Conrad, recaptured these areas, the presence of terrible devastation with Saracens (1228). Rainald departed, all the castles in the back of the town of Spoleto. In 1258 I passed through King Manfred with Saracens and Tartars, and, in 1265, Charles of Anjou, directed against the Swabians. In 1241 the forum Sant'Anatolia paid to Frederick II. Then he returned to Spoleto. In 1338, after the blast on the mountain Ghibelline made by Frederick of Urbino (1332), Spoleto Guelph churches to castles that were already his, to renew allegiance. They are not accepted and the Municipality of Spoleto sentenced them in absentia. Spoleto sued at the ducal curia, the case which was resolved sub logia communis Falconis Monti (Montefalco), where he resided the court, with the acquittal of the castles and the recognition of pure and mixed powers. The castles were twelve and were linked in the federation under the aegis of the Abbey of San Pietro in Valle. Sant'Anatolia was declared in 1337 in Spoleto and the Cardinal faithful Capocci, in 1327, confirmed the possession of the town of Spoleto, the castles of Valnerina. In 1382 I passed through the Valle D'Anjou with Luigi Amedeo VI, Count Green, called to the rescue by Queen Giovanna I of Naples . The following year he obtained the pure and mixed Sant'Anatolia powers for cases of minor importance.

Discord in 1387 with Scheggino for municipal boundaries, were resolved by arbitration. In 1320 they remade the castle walls. Towards the middle of the fourteenth century were introduced to the Observant Santa Croce. In the village there was also a small hospital. New shock in Spoleto and Ghibellines Valnerina during the schism. Thomas Chiavano Cola and John Monteleone, Spoleto Direct closed to free the Ghibellines in the castle, and plundered Sant'Anatolia neighbors. On his return, defeated, completed the devastation (1390-91). In 1419 I went there and back, the cavalry of Fortinbras, live in L'Aquila. In 1437 we passed through a large army to the March of Francesco Sforza in 1443 Neapolitan troops of Alfonso d'Aragona.

In 1506 the border with Scheggino other disagreements were resolved in favor of this castle by the chancellor of the duchy, similarly in 1518. In 1511 they passed the Neapolitan troops sent by Pope Julius II against the French. In early 1522 the area was beaten by the bandits and Picozzo Petrone. In 1527, about 10,000 Ianzichenecchi and Colonna, veterans of the sack of Rome, led by Sciarra Colonna, passed in the valley, smashing and carrying the plague. In 1540 it passed through the valley's army Pierluigi Farnese, strong of 4,000 Spaniards, who stopped there for a long time before going to Perugia for the Salt War, other French troops there passed in 1557. 5/7/1551 The Sant'Anatolia is called the municipal statutes. Until then it had been a comunitas semi-detached, then absorbed by Spoleto, like the nearby castles and Gavelli case. It was bound to Spoleto by secular civil and religious affairs.

The statutes are now in the State Archive in Rome, under the title "Statutes of Sant'Anatolia Narco, Spoleto - Perugia. They are divided into five books De officialibus (de regimine), De causis civilibus; criminalibus De causis, De Damnis datis; De extraordinariis. Follow the reforms from 1552 to 1798. These statutes and reforms needed to be sent annually to the municipality of Spoleto for the control. Base of the government was the general council of heads of households or Arenga; were: sorting, ie the council consists of three directors, the vicar annual, native of the castle, president of a small town, the mayor, a stranger, half yearly, sent from Spoleto and the chamberlain, that the debt collector, the dance, made municipal notary and other junior officers. In the statutes and emphasized the religious sense. Many standards related to the agricultural life of the castle. A lot of austerity and severity. The legal measures were those municipalities, which was to be used. They had rented the mill, the slaughterhouse and the hospital. The municipality should have a small family, where nobody was allowed to waste money or property, public hygiene Minute, set the dates of hay on the mountain Coscerno. For the holidays, which were many, he chose the dall'arenga Santes. During religious ceremonies, it was everywhere talking in low voices and shops remain closed. The town gave a definite offer for each holiday.

In 1575, a serious pest in the area. Sant'Anatolia, like all municipalities in the Val di Narco, Spoleto and remained basically faithful to the Church until 1798. With the arrival of the French, the second belonged to the Canton Valnerina Spoleto. Each castle stood the tree of liberty. The whole mountain was overrun by insurgents, that the draft evaders, which are queued many brigands, which devastated the area. Bernardo Latins in Castel San Felice was head of the insurgents, and there were skirmishes with the French troops. The first castles were to rise and Scheggino Sant'Anatolia and were harshly repressed by the regular troops. With the Restoration, Sant'Anatolia remained common enfeoffed in Spoleto with a mayor really.

In 185 were opened real roads Valnerina Spoleto, Visso, Norcia in 1861 to Terni. With the advent of the Kingdom, is planned to unite the community of Valle only municipality in Scheggino: in 1875 it was amended to remove the town of chasing and, in 1895, those of Case and Monte San Vito; Sant'Anatolia and valley remains independent . In 1927, the three common cause of Valnerina were closed and the land to the Spoleto aggregate: two years after they were recovered. The emblem of the town's oldest is the Holy Virgin. When the castle came under Spoleto in the twelfth century, the coat was completed at the top with a cross on the right side and St. Pontian riding on the left side. The seal of the Virgin church door between two towers (XIV century).

The parish of Sant'Anatolia then extended also to the castle of Scheggino, Valle and San Felice in Sant'Anatolia was the baptismal font. Depended upon this church twenty churches and hospitals. In 1712, Sant'Anatolia was 260 inhabitants. Entering the country, the dual port, dominated by niche of the Virgin owner, is seen in front of the church dedicated to Sant'Anatolia, painted interior. The church of Santa Maria delle Grazie (Madonna of the Snow once), was a newsstand country with a fresco of the fifteenth century Sienese influence of the Umbrian school with: Madonna and Child standing and blessing, the mother looked lovingly on the sides the Baptist and Sant ' Anatone Abate. The chapel was built there in 1575 and has frescoes Piermatteo Gigli, a disciple of Jacob Siculus: the cathedral of Spoleto in the four most Evancelisti and many saints around the Mystic Lamb, including Virgin Agata, Anatolia, Maddalena, Cristina, Lucia, Victoria Appollonia and Barbara.

Sant'Anatolia belong to the City of the villages of Castel San Felice, Case, Gavelli and caves, all existing independent communities.

The Patron is "Sant'Anatolia" Day July 9.

The municipal archive was rich enough, but it was destroyed during the war: there are 50 scrolls, ranging from the fourteenth to sixteenth centuries.
The current structure of the village is predominantly medieval village surrounded by walls with the fourteenth century, dominated by two towers of the fifteenth century. The thirteenth-century castle is the heart of the medieval village. The parish church of Santa Anatolia is home to a remarkable cycle of frescoes of 1300. The end of the 500 reported by the oratory of Santa Maria delle Grazie, which as the first church has his frescoes from various periods. Near Sant'Anatolia you can visit the medieval village of Castel San Felice, with the homonymous church, a true jewel of Umbrian Romanesque. On its face, the black stone, open two windows and a rose windows. Inside the church, after all 'single aisle, opens an apse and the transept el' stand on the altar crypt, which houses a sarcophagus in the saint's relics.

krzychu30, baddori, mirosu, paololg, tyro, Budapestman has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 19898 W: 130 N: 42066] (221729)
  • Genre: 地方
  • Medium: 彩色
  • Date Taken: 2012-07-14
  • Categories: 建築
  • Exposure:f/11, 1/125 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version:Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2012-07-14 15:28
Viewed: 1684
Points: 36
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 19898 W: 130 N: 42066] (221729)
View More Pictures