相片

Photographer's Note

Herzmansky

The Herzmansky was a well-known department store in Vienna. It was dated August Herzmansky merchant established in 1863. The department store was located on the Mariahilfer Stra絽 26-30 / 3 pin alley in the 7th New district of Vienna. Since 1998, located in its place a branch of Peek & Cloppenburg.

History
August Herzmansky came in 1848 from his hometown Odrau in today's Czech Republic to Vienna in 1863 and founded a business in the Church Lane 7, the textiles offered. The original business was in the third Stiftgasse Alfred Gerngross, a former employee from August Herzmansky, opened in 1879, his own fabric business under the name Gerngross. After a brief rivalry, the two companies were trying to cooperate, but this did not know why this connection was closed again in 1881. Both Gerngro as Herzmansky subsequently tried to establish a dominant commercial presence on the main shopping street, Gerngross of starting the church alley, Herzmansky of the pin alley 1-3. Both companies are expanding quickly in Europe's cities with the then nascent concept in progress: a fixed price and great sales through good service. The "department store Herzmansky" expanded 1892, the Mariahilfer Strasse, was from 1897 to 1898 by architect Maximilian Katscher built. [1] The business founder, August Herzmansky witnessed the opening no more, however, he died childless in December 1896 and was buried at Maria Brunner Cemetery.
The Herzmansky was the largest textile houses in Austria-Hungary. According to self-promotion offered the store include "velvet", plush fabrics, silks, woolens, wash fabrics, laces, fancy goods and carpets. There was subsequently a moving story with many changes of ownership.
After the death of company founder, his nephew Johann and Eduard Herzmansky corporate governance, but it was not particularly successful. During this period, Gerngross established with a dominant Nouveau (1904) on the Mariahilfer street. 1906 retired from the nephew, who is married Johann Falnbigl took charge and became a shareholder. Under Falnbigl experienced longer extensions 1908 and 1928. After the death on 7 Falnbigls February 1932, his son Wilfred took over the lead in the short term, but retired from in 1933 as personally liable partner.
Max Delfiner ran the company from 1933 to 1938 Herzmansky as sole owner, after the "annexation" but the family had to emigrate, it was temporarily taken over by the textile manufacturers Dornbirner Rhomberg and H鄝merle. 1938-1940, there was still through the purchase of the house Mariahilfer Stra絽 30 in an expansion of retail space and number of employees to 700 people at that time. In April 1945, but came to considerable destruction.
On 8 November 1948 was returned to the rightful owner Max Delfiner be "Aryanized" assets. [2] The management of the company, his son Henry. Already in 1957 the family Delfiner sold, however, the German Hertie Group. [3] made this road to the centennial anniversary in 1963 and modernized tear also larger parts of the building and sold it in turn in 1965 to a consortium of General Shopping SA, CA-SBC, Turicum AG Inter and durum Hansa AG. This consortium acquired 1966, the department store Gerngross. In 1969 it even came to the company's legal merger of Gerngross and Herzmansky.
In 1971, the two department stores were also sold again. As a buyer now joined a consortium with the Swiss department store Jelmoli, the CABV, Norddeutsche Landesbank and the International Trust Company Ltd..
In the 1970s, was also in Vienna, the international crisis of the stores slowly apparent. The mass motorization promoted the concept of suburban shopping center with access to freeways, highways and plenty of parking spaces. They are increasingly affected by the traditional urban business centers. The subway construction did lead to the attractiveness of Vienna's inner city, the construction phase in the Mariahilfer Strasse, however, had a "dry spell" is. Still took over on 1 January 1984, the union close to Austria, the consumption of large department stores in the Mariahilfer street. From 1986 to 1988, the 250 million shillings Herzmansky without closing times to a "world city department store" and expanded. A commercial success was not granted these investments. The consumption of Austria skidded after decades of decline in the insolvency, and Gerngross 1996, the Group and hence Herzmansky to a consortium of the textile group Palmers and Hans Schmid, the operator of the advertising agency GGK. While the department store Gerngross after modification during operation in February 1997 was reopened, was the department store on 12 Herzmansky Closed in July 1997.
The Herzmansky was sold in 1998 at the Dsseldorf fashion chain Peek & Cloppenburg. On 4 Opened in March 1998 Herzmansky the building's first flagship store of Peek & Cloppenburg. Since the name was no longer continue, hence the long history of the department store Herzmansky came to an end temporarily. Memorabilia and a bust of the founder who formerly graced the foyer of the store, are now preserved in the district museum building. 2005 Sparkassen Immobilien AG bought the Palmer Group, the majority of the Gerngross Kaufhaus AG. These include the Steffl department stores and Herzmansky. [4] The founder of the building from the outside Stiftgasse preserved in its original condition, with the inscription "A. Herzmansky "in the cornice in golden mosaics and clearly framed in black marble plaques on the ground floor area. The ground floor is now an upscale cafe, which is operated by Cafe Gerstner.

bj40 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 3357
Points: 0
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Csaba Witz (csabagaba) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 617 W: 172 N: 1499] (7018)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH