相片

Photographer's Note

View to Danube bank

This promenade with its ornamented lampposts and benches was developed fully roughly a hundred years ago. It tempts visitors both to take a walk and to enjoy the panorama of the Danube. The predecessor of the Embankment set out more than two hundred years ago as a line of trees. This southern stretch of the Danube near the city parish church (Belv嫫osi Pl嶵嫕iatemplom) is where the raft-bridge was once moored. The tradition of its present use as a promenade stems from the time of the Millennium celebrations.
In the background modern hotels are visible.

Centre of Pest

Inner-city-Lip鏒 town is the fifth district of Budapest. The Inner-city is the ancient centre of Pest, on its place there was a settlement even in the prehistoric age, one of the most significant crossing-places of the Danube was formed here. During centuries the progressively developing city had been destroyed several times, but rebuilds made it nicer and nicer. After the 1838 flood the "Embellishing Committee" did a great deal to the modern look of the city. At that time the city had a classicist aspect: De嫜-square Lutheran church, County Hall, Chain-Bridge. Political, literary and scientific people met at the caf廥 and restaurants of the reform era (Kremnitzer Coffee House on the bank of the Danube, Pilvax). In the second half of the 19th century the two new bridges, Ferenc J霩sef (today Freedom Bridge), Erzs嶵et bridge, the building of the Hungarian Academy, the Parliament, the Gresham palace indicated the speedy development of the centenary. On 1st January 1950 the area of Lip鏒 town reaching to St. Istv嫕 boulevard was attached to the Inner-city. Today, the Inner-city is the centre of intellectual, political, cultural life and tourism. The municipality of the fifth district works hard on helping both the people living in this area and visitors to feel well.

Elisabeth Bridge (Erzs嶵et h獮) in the background

Erzs嶵et h獮 (Elisabeth Bridge) is the second newest bridge and one of the most elegant ones of Budapest, Hungary, connecting Buda and Pest across the River Danube. It is situated at the narrowest part of the Danube, the bridge spanning only 290 m. It is named after Queen Elisabeth, a popular queen and empress of Austria-Hungary, who was tragically assassinated. Today, her large bronze statue sits by the bridge's Buda side connection in the middle of a small garden. The original Erzs嶵et h獮 was blown up at the end of World War II by retreating Wehrmacht sappers. The currently standing slender white cable bridge was built in the very same location between 19611964, because the government could not afford to construct entirely new foundations for the bridge.
(Source: Vend嶲v嫫)

Photo Information
Viewed: 2042
Points: 50
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH