相片

Photographer's Note

Memento of stormy centuries

Tower of the Church of Mary Magdalene (M嫫ia Magdolna templom), Buda Castle

The Church, dating from the middle of the 13th century, originally served as the parish church for the Hungarian citizens of the town (the M嫢y嫳 Church was for the use of the towns German citizens).
During the 14th and 15th centuries it was enlarged several times. During the first-half of the Turkish occupation it remained the only Christian church in the Castle; during the second-half it was converted into a mosque. Following the defeat of the Turks in 1686 it was given back to the Franciscan Order, who demolished most of the church except for the tower, and used the stones to build a new single-nave church, in the Baroque style. As a result of the damage sustained by the church during the 2nd World War, the nave was demolished and only the Gothic style tower was restored. The ruins behind the church have been used to form an exhibition of the history of the church. In 1792 Emperor Francis I, King of Hungary, was crowned in the church.
The restoration of the tower was completed in 1997. Today it is open to the public as a lookout tower.
Interesting is the 24-piece row of bells, which produces glockenspiel every 30 minutes daily 8.00 a.m. - 9.00 p.m.

Buda Castle (Budai v嫫)

Part of the World Heritage Site, the Castle, and within it the Royal Palace, stand to the west of the Danube on a hill of marl. A labyrinth lies inside the hill, while centuries of architectural and cultural heritage are visible at ground level."Europe has three jewelled cities: Venice on the waters, Florence on the plains, and Buda on the hill" - so claimed medieval travellers. Today, the view of both banks of the Danube and the Castle District of Buda form a World Heritage Site. There has been a royal palace on this site since the 1200's, but relatively few excavated and reconstructed sections from that early period can be seen. The Palace suffered serious damage during the siege of the invading Turkish troops. The current external appearance of the building complex is the result of Baroque-style building work in the 18th century, as well as remodelling and expansion in the 19th century. (Source:marvaoguide & vend嶲v嫫)

Photo Information
Viewed: 1883
Points: 54
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH