ۤ

Photographer's Note

The complex of St. Nicholas is both a theater, an exhibition center and a conference center. It was built in the fourteenth century by the Augustinian friars, and was equipped with a rich library. In 1512 it was visited even by Martin Luther.
It suffered a gradual decline in the eighteenth century up to the coup de grace, represented by the earthquake of 1767. So it was abandoned, and used in ways most strange: as a stable, warehouse, emergency shelter, barn, blacksmith forge, electrical substation, market covered truffles, machine shop with a bronze foundry for repairs of steam engines, up to factory weights and measures, around 1905. Already in 1873 it was demolished bell tower added in the fifteenth century.
He was in such a state of neglect until the present day. Only in 1960 was provided to her recovery.
The faade on Via Elladio, it is very simple and straightforward, gabled hut, but with a beautiful ogival portal, and in the lunette fresco of the Madonna and Child with Saints Augustine and Nicholas (1412).
The interior of the church, covered by a roof truss, is a single, wide nave almost devoid of ornamentation, frescoes, sculptures and chapels from the fourteenth to the seventeenth century had enriched. The high polygonal apse is semicircular divided by pilasters and topped with a ribbed vault resting on tall piers; along the walls are fragments of frescoes; on top will revolve around a gallery wall unit which is lit by mullioned windows open inwards and placed in the intervals between the ribs. Below are opened to the outside three mullioned windows larger.
The convent, built over the city's oldest city walls, still retains part of the original structure. The cloisters were built in different periods: the first is the '300, coeval with the church, and stands on one side of it; is supported by polygonal columns of red and white stone decorated with elegant capitals. On both sides there are tombstones inscriptions of the fourteenth century. In the corner of the cloister can be seen what is left of the bell tower erected in 1470 on the initiative of one Servadio from Spoleto, as shown by an inscription in situ. On the other side of the cloister has no galleries. In the '400 adds a second cloister more modest two orders, entirely in brick. In addition to the theater itself, capacious of 450 seats, another conference room is on the first floor, with beautiful views of the valley of Spoleto.

snunney, cornejo, No_One has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 19701 W: 130 N: 41769] (220465)
  • Genre: a
  • Medium: m
  • Date Taken: 2010-09-19
  • Categories: ؿv
  • ExposureGf/8, 1/250 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo VersionGOriginal Version
  • Date Submitted: 2014-11-20 10:02
Viewed: 1159
Points: 18
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 19701 W: 130 N: 41769] (220465)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH