相片

Photographer's Note

Early morning wiev from St. Marco square and St. Mark's bell tower.
The Campanile di San Marco (St. Mark's bell tower) from the Canale di San Marco, Venice.
The initial 9th-century construction, initiated during the reign of Pietro Tribuno (887912) and built on Roman foundations,[1] was used as a watch tower or lighthouse for the dock, which then occupied a substantial part of the area which is now the Piazzetta. Construction was finished in the twelfth century, during the reign of Domenico Morosini.
The tower is 98.6 metres tall, and stands alone in a corner of St Mark's Square, near the front of the basilica. In July 1902, the north wall of the tower began to show signs of a dangerous crack that in the following days continued to grow. Finally, on Monday, 14 July, around 9:45 am, the campanile collapsed completely, also demolishing the loggetta. The same evening, the communal council approved over 500,000 Lire for the reconstruction of the campanile. The new campanile was inaugurated on 25 April 1912, on the occasion of Saint Mark's feast day, exactly 1000 years after the foundations of the original building had allegedly been laid.
The Campanile is currently undergoing a major set of building works that are forecast to last a few years. Like many buildings in Venice, it is built on soft ground, supported by wooden piles. Due to years of winter flooding (Acqua Alta), the subsoil has become saturated and the campanile has begun to subside and lean. Evidence of this can be seen in the increasing number of cracks in the masonry. In order to stop the damage, a ring of titanium is being built underneath the foundations of the campanile. The titanium ring will protect the campanile from the shifting soil and ensure that the tower subsides equally and does not lean. (from Wikipedia)

pajaran, ikeharel, dale54 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 160
Points: 18
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Ecmel Erlat (ecmel) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 128 W: 0 N: 238] (1692)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH