相片

Photographer's Note

St Mark's Campanile and ClockTower.
----------------
From Wikipedia

St Mark's Campanile is the bell tower of St Mark's Basilica in Venice, located in the square (piazza) of the same name.

A tower was first built at the present site in the eighth century as a watch tower for the dock which then occupied what is now the Piazzetta dei Leoncini. It was repeatedly rebuilt over the succeeding centuries.

The campanile reached its present form in 1514. As it stands today, however, the tower is a reconstruction, completed in 1912 after the collapse of 1902.

The 100 metre-high tower consists of a sturdy brick shaft, an observation platform, a section housing the five bells, and a pyramidal spire, topped by a golden angel weathervane.

The logetta which housed the barracks of the guard for the Doge's Palace lies beneath the campanile. It was built by Sansovino, completed in 1549 and extended in 1663.

On July 14, 1902, the campanile collapsed completely, also demolishing the logetta. Remarkably no one was killed. It was decided to rebuild the tower exactly as it was, with some internal reinforcement to prevent future collapse. The reconstructed campanile was opened on St Mark's Day, April 25, 1912.

-------------------

St Mark's Clocktower is a clock tower situated on St Mark's Square in Venice, adjoining the Procuratie Vecchie. It houses the most important clock in the city, St Mark's Clock.

It was constructed as a display of Venice's wealth, and as an aid to sailors on the Grand Canal about to depart on a voyage.

The building was designed by Mauro Coducci and constructed between 1496 and 1499. It has five bays, of which the central bay is the widest. This bay incorporates a two-storey gateway, with the large clock face above, topped by a single storey tower with a depiction of a Lion of St Mark against the night sky, while two blackened bronze figures intended as giants but known as the "Moors" stand on top and ring a bell on the hour.

The clock mechanism, dating from 1499 and much restored since then, drives the main clock face, which consists of several concentric dials. The outermost displays the number 1 to 24 in Roman numerals, and a hand embellished with a depiction of the sun indicated the hour. The second dial depicts the twelve signs of the zodiac, picked out, like the inner dials, in gilt on an enamel blue background. The inner dials indicate the phases of the moon and sun.

The mechanism also moves a display above the clockface, where a niche with a depiction of the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus lies between two displays: the hour in Roman numerals and the minutes (in multiples of five) in Hindu-Arabic numerals. On Ascension Day, statues of the three kings pass in front of the displays.

Terraces were added to the tower by Giorgio Massari in 1755, but it has otherwise been little altered.

besnard, Silvio1953, Buin, josepmarin, vesilvio has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2158
Points: 25
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Vinicio Tullio (vinicio) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2554 W: 236 N: 3986] (23423)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH